Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Accidents of our beds EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Accidents of our beds EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Accidents of our beds EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Accidents of our beds EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Accidents of our beds EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Accidents of our beds EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Accidents of our beds EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Accidents of our beds EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Accidents of our beds EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Accidents of our beds

4 posters

Go down

Accidents of our beds Empty Accidents of our beds

Post by Oscar's mum Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 am

Oscar is now 9 months old but he seems to have taken a liking for wetting our beds during the day/evening, he has only recently been do this (4-6 weeks), we did have him castrated on the 29th February but i dont think it has anything to do with it. I dont want to stop him having free-run of the house (our house is also his house so to speak) but it is happening almost everyday, any ideas why he has started to do this and how to stop him without stopping him going upstairs, he even does it on our 9 year old's bed who happens to be his best friend,

Many Thanks in advance

Sally

Oscar's mum
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2011-10-27
Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Accidents of our beds Empty Re: Accidents of our beds

Post by sands-62 Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:51 am

Oh dear, I am not sure how to help, only restrict him to those rooms for now and go back to basics as regards house training again.And you really need to see him do it to be able to reprimand him. I am sure someone else will be a long here soon to help you.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 am

I believe it's marking even though he has been castrated. Because beds smell wry strongly of us he is claiming the bed space as his. Henry use to do this and I never knew y then I saw a program ( its me or the dog) and it was about a do marking her solution was to restrict the dogs access to these parts of the house so I did this to Henry it also teaches him that the house does not belong to him many may disagree but I believe dogs should not share the same sleeping areas with humans because I think it make a dog equal to us which as pack leaders they r not. Once they wee on a bed it's very hard to get them smell out even I u wash and scrub because of the mattress which is not ideal at all. We stopped the dogs from going upstairs this did not cause any stress with ours and sometimes u just have to lie down the rules as in this is human space. This stopped all this behaviour with our dog just puttin him back in his place as a lower member of the pack and trust me it seems cruel to do this but dogs like an prefer having rules an r more settled.
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I think if it were marking he WOULD have displayed this behaviour before neutering. I suggest you take him to the vet and have a chat with the vet as it could be a urinary infection or something to do with the castrate. Once medical reasons are ruled out then I would suggest not allowing him free rein upstairs for the time being to break the cycle.

I sleep with my dogs and there is NO problem with them knowing who is top dog and this is the very reason man invited the wolf into his home in the first place - for warmth and company and later to help him find food Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I agree with the vet comment . I can go off my experiences with my dogs and my male neutered dog used to do this pee on the bed I think it has something to do with claiming space and as a bed smells very strongly of us. With Henry I reminded him were the good places were to pee e.g outside and did not allow access to upstairs. I was not saying sleepin with any dog is wrong or shoul not be done but I found with my dog who had this issue with peein on beds that allowing him to to sleep in the bedroom and not allowing him upstairs just firmed up the rules who was at the top pack cause some times they need a reminder and some dogs will push there luck. The solution worked for me anyway if u totally against the idea sometimes blocking the dog from free access to the bed and it being a invitation only rather then them jumping up wen they like works and when he is not invited up he will be told to get down this just lets tem know it's human space shared by dogs and not the other way around.
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm

I agree that the dog needs to be restricted from the beds for the time being but neutered males are not supposed to mark territory so I am not sure that it is anything to do with claiming space.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

That's what I thought but when we ha a discussion with our vet and the dog handler at work dogs r not marking per say but can still mark spaces that make them more important in the pack and because beds have such a strong smell of us r very good targets sometimes the behaviour is a repeated behaviour from before the dog had his op like my Henry he used to do it with toys etc. invitation or no acess is what we did we also applied this to on the sofa and when we put his food down I said when he moved forward to the bowel this stopped this behaviour with a bit of work with stubbornness an a bit of resisting an pushing his luck. He is no happy knowing his place and will look at me for a invitation to come up he also seems more settled in his own space and bed before he would be on te look out and sniffing etc . It's just a idea It takes a bit of work an it may not be for u
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: