Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Please help.....Puppy or Older dog???

+3
Michele
simbalove
peroxideblader
7 posters

Go down

Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? Empty Please help.....Puppy or Older dog???

Post by peroxideblader Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Hello, I am sorry again to ask for everyone's help in helping me come to a decision but I have to make a decision tonight and I'm in such a dilemma....
I have the chance of a 3 year old dog, a Tibetan Terrier, I know it is not a shih tzu but it was due to an advert I replied to for a shih txu that I found out about a lady wanting good homes for 2 TT's. I went to meet Paddy the dog today and he is an ex show dog and I was told he was used to living in a house until about 8 months ago when she had to put him outside in kennels. He did have a piddle in the hosue when I was there as it is so evident he is not used to being inside a house at all. I don't have a problem with a dog peeing in the house having the odd accident but my 3 rescue dogs in the past had all come from homes so apart from the odd accident, they were house trained already and just needed a quick reminder. The problem here is with Paddy being nearly 4 and never having been used to a household and only doing his business in his kennel.
My question is, is it possible to get him housetrained quite quickly with regular trips outside and rewards or is it as a few poele have said, with him being that much older, he will be too stuck in his ways to housetrain?
As I said, I am not too bothered but my husband doesn't want a dog and although I have persuaded him to let me have one, he is adamant it is not to one that is dirty all the time in the house. His idea is to get a puppy then we have a clean slate and can train a puppy to pads or paper and will pick up alot quicker than an adult dog.
I have to let this lady know tonight if I want Paddy and I am so stuck, please can you let me know what you think and if anyone has rehomed an older dog that was not housetrained and how they managed to do it, thanks

peroxideblader
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2009-07-23
Number of posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? Empty Re: Please help.....Puppy or Older dog???

Post by simbalove Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

I haven't had any experience of this but I know a few people who have rehomed puppy farm rescues and they seem to pick up house training very quickly - you just need to behave exactly as if it were a puppy.

Apart from that only you can decide whether Paddy was the dog for you or whether you do really want a puppy (though if my memory serves me right you were looking for an older dog in the first place weren't you?)
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Please help.....Puppy or Older dog??? Empty Re: Please help.....Puppy or Older dog???

Post by Michele Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:45 pm

As you may know I fostered a ex breeding dog for a month a few weeks ago, Lily was seven years old and had been in a puppy farm all her life, so she wasnt housetrained, in the month that I looked after her she only had two accidents in the house, she picked up that she had to go outside really quickly, I did put her in a crate overnight and took her out first thing in the morning and then took her out every few hours during the day telling her to do wee wees and she soon cottoned on, she went out with my two dogs and I was really surprised how quickly she learnt, and from speaking to her other fosterers of ex breeding dogs they all seem to learn very quickly, it took me a year to fully trust Poppy so Lily was a doddle compared to her, but you just need to go back to basics with them and treat them as you would do a puppy x
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm

The benefit of an older dog is that they alrady have control over their bladder/bowel so it shoudl be easy to osrt out - whereas with puppies they don't have full control so "more accidents" lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahangel Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm

I wonder why you have to decide so quickly? I would have thought the current owner should want you to think and be sure he is right for you, not rush you. You sound very committed, but make sure your husband is on board too as this kind of thing can cause friction at home if its only one person who is really keen. He may be quick to house train, but he may not and you have to be prepared for either of those.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Sarah
sarahangel
sarahangel
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2010-07-23
Number of posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by peroxideblader Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm

The owner hasn't rushed me, its just she is going away tomorrow and she would be bringing the dog to me this Saturday if we want him and she needs to know her plans before she goes. I know what you mean about my husband, but he has never wanted a dog as it thinks it is too much of a commitment but knows how much I want a dog and have for 10 years. It will be me who will be with him all day and doing all the work with him, plus my son has wanted a dog too and will help me with all the training anf cleaning up! It is so hard as I know hubby would be happier if we never got a dog at all.

peroxideblader
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by peroxideblader Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks for all you replies, but the problem with me is I haven't even had a puppy so I can't go back to basics like with puppy, all my rescue dogs have been older dogs so I am totally a housetraining virgin!
I know only I can decide what ias best and the dog was just ideal in other ways so I guess I have alot of hard thinking to do. MY heart tells me to go for it as I have lots of love to give him and a home to grow old in, but my head tells me I may have alot of accidents and issues in the house that might not clear up so fast

peroxideblader
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahangel Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:33 am

Well my husband never wanted a dog either! Now he adores our lab cross and cant believe how he feels about her, so you may be surpirsed how he reacts Smile

I think if you really liked this dog, you and your son will bond with him and that all helps. Some times you just have to follow your heart.

Has he been neutered?

Sarah
sarahangel
sarahangel
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Mike never wanted our two either, despite the fact he had always had dogs. But he is softer than me and can't wait either for our little guest this week. thumbs up
shih tzu shih tzu shih tzu
Tracy
Tracy
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Post by peroxideblader Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Well after a talk into the night with my hubby, he admitted he doesn't want a dog at all as he sees it as an intrusion on our life not in a good wa and he sees a dog as a hassle he cn do without. I tried telling him all the good things a dog brings all the unconditional love but he has his opinion and that doesn't include having a dog in our lives. I'm very sad about it but I am not the strong one and wouldn't go against what he wanted. Maybe in a few years I can turn him around and make him see a dog is the best thing ever....meanwhile, I'll still be on here and live my love of dogs through all you lot, you lucky ones. I am still trying to become a fosterer without success, I have registered with 2/3 charities and not heard back, that is maybe the ideal thing for me as hubby can accept a temporary dog as long as its not staying.

peroxideblader
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Tracy wrote:Mike never wanted our two either, despite the fact he had always had dogs. But he is softer than me and can't wait either for our little guest this week. thumbs up

He will regret it lol! - he does realise that she is NOT housetrained does he?? No
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahangel Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

peroxideblader wrote:Well after a talk into the night with my hubby, he admitted he doesn't want a dog at all as he sees it as an intrusion on our life not in a good wa and he sees a dog as a hassle he cn do without. I tried telling him all the good things a dog brings all the unconditional love but he has his opinion and that doesn't include having a dog in our lives. I'm very sad about it but I am not the strong one and wouldn't go against what he wanted. Maybe in a few years I can turn him around and make him see a dog is the best thing ever....meanwhile, I'll still be on here and live my love of dogs through all you lot, you lucky ones. I am still trying to become a fosterer without success, I have registered with 2/3 charities and not heard back, that is maybe the ideal thing for me as hubby can accept a temporary dog as long as its not staying.

I'm so sorry it has not worked out well for you this time, but don't give up! The thing that changed my husbands mind was a very sad event. Our friends 9 year old son died very suddenly from a massive stroke and life seemed just too short not to do all the things we both wanted.........I don't wish anything like that on anyone, it's just you never know what is round the corner.

Fostering is such a great idea, try somewhere else. try as many places as you can. I can't believe there isn't a dog out there that needs fostering by someone as keen as you!!!

Good luck
Sarah
sarahangel
sarahangel
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:53 pm

peroxideblader wrote:Well after a talk into the night with my hubby, he admitted he doesn't want a dog at all as he sees it as an intrusion on our life not in a good wa and he sees a dog as a hassle he cn do without. I tried telling him all the good things a dog brings all the unconditional love but he has his opinion and that doesn't include having a dog in our lives. I'm very sad about it but I am not the strong one and wouldn't go against what he wanted. Maybe in a few years I can turn him around and make him see a dog is the best thing ever....meanwhile, I'll still be on here and live my love of dogs through all you lot, you lucky ones. I am still trying to become a fosterer without success, I have registered with 2/3 charities and not heard back, that is maybe the ideal thing for me as hubby can accept a temporary dog as long as its not staying.

I'm so sorry, you must be so disappointed. Second best maybe but could you help out at your local resue. Or maybe that will make it worse! Silly idea. Anyway, don't disappear from here. teddy hug
Tracy
Tracy
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 pm

simbalove wrote:
Tracy wrote:Mike never wanted our two either, despite the fact he had always had dogs. But he is softer than me and can't wait either for our little guest this week. thumbs up

He will regret it lol! - he does realise that she is NOT housetrained does he?? No

Nope, left that bit of information as a surprise lol!
Tracy
Tracy
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

OMG he is going to be calling me to collect her on my way past!! Now what am I going to do bouncy lol

PS she is trying (very trying) and will go out to have a poo which means if you see her sneak off or realise she has then you need to get out after her quick lol!

She will also wee on walks and when you take her out and stand with her and encourage her - unless it is very wet when she will dodge round you to get back in lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I am really sorry to hear that your Hubby is so against having a dog at the minute. I can't think what you can do to change his mind I am afraid, he seems fairly adamant that he doesn't want one. Shih Tzus are very good at getting right inside your heart and making themselves very comfy, but obviously there does need to be a bit of give from him first, before you can bring one into your home. Going down the fostering route may work at melting him a bit, so hopefully you will be able to do that to begin with. teddy hug

I think someone might be in for a bit of a surprise when you go away Lesley? I can just see Tracy chasing behind her every time she disappears from view lol! You may find yourself coming home early!
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I think "surprise" might be too gentle a word Sue SHOCK more like - poor Tracy lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:15 am

I have just had a similar problem with my hubby I also had the same problem with him when we had Tasha he gave in then, but flatly refuses now.I don't know what it is with them men I mean- they are the nicest kindest breed there is but there is something that gets into men, and why I don't know. I think they like to assert their authority.Sorry I haven't been on here much my mother is very ill at the moment and am having to spend a lot more time going to visit her,amazingly she is still with us as she was given days to live two weeks ago.Congrats Sue on being a Moderator.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 am

I was thinking about you yesterday evening Carol and wondering how you were getting along. My my your mother is a fighter isn't she?? Take care of yourself as well hun and give those lovely girls a big hug from me and my two xxxxxx teddy hug

Last edited by simbalove on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct the msitake... instead of BIG HUG I had typed HIG)
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 am

So sorry Carol, We are all here for you, be it on the forum or pm's. Love and strength to you all! X
Tracy
Tracy
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Carol best wishes and take care teddy hug x
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am

Michele wrote:Sorry to hear about your Mum, Carol best wishes and take care teddy hug x

I will PM you.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 am

Sorry to hear about your Mum Carol. You must keep strong for both her and yourself. teddy hug
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:10 am

sujay wrote:Sorry to hear about your Mum Carol. You must keep strong for both her and yourself. teddy hug

Thank you so much Sue, hence why I wasn't able to go to Pembrey last Sunday. Congratulations on becoming a new Moderator. teddy hug
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for the congrats Carol. Just hope I do a good job, which shouldn't be a problem as everyone is so friendly here. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down