Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Flea, tick and worming treatments EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Flea, tick and worming treatments

+2
kentuckymommy
EmmaLJ81
6 posters

Go down

Flea, tick and worming treatments Empty Flea, tick and worming treatments

Post by EmmaLJ81 Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Any advice on which ones to use for our new puppy. I am getting a confused
EmmaLJ81
EmmaLJ81
Puppy
Puppy

Registration date : 2011-08-04
Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Flea, tick and worming treatments Empty Re: Flea, tick and worming treatments

Post by kentuckymommy Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:58 am

I don't know what everyone else will recommend but I use frontline with my boy. With my cocker spaniel we use a pill. I am not sure the name of the pill but It is like 30 bucks for one pill.

Frontline is working great with Garcia and we haven't seen any fleas. As for wormer I let my vet administer that medication.
kentuckymommy
kentuckymommy
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 100

https://www.facebook.com/brandistandifer

Back to top Go down

Post by x Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 am

Please be aware that both the pills and the drops administered on the back of the neck are highly toxic chemicals. They have to be to do the job, what is taken internally wiil kill good bugs as well as bad. The drops on the nape of the neck and spray applications are also a bad way to deal with these parasites. If you have access to the information leaflet on these products it will tell you to be sure to wash you hands after administering, this is because they are highly toxic, you also have to spray in an open area so you do not inhale the product. So what about your animal who now is saturated with this substance and cannot get away from it because it is on him. They have been proven to be carcinogenic and affect the nervous system. If you have a raw fed dog , which mine is , you will not have much bother with parasites. Processed dog food makes a dog odour that is attractive to parasites. Raw fed dogs do not have a bad smell about them. As for the worms well I use a product called Verm-X , Not sure you can get it in America but it is herb based, she has never had a worming tablet in her life and I get her stools checked at my vets to avoid problems, up to date she is parasite free .I only ask this one question ....why dont we spray our children regularly to avoid them getting nits and worms ? I think the answer is because it would not do their long term health any good. So please investigate the alternatives if you can before drenching your pets system with toxic drugs.Here are the products I use

www.verm-x.co.uk for internal parasites

www.catandogs.net for fleas and ticks

www.verm-xusa.com you can get this in america

Last edited by tuppence on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added website)

x
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-29
Number of posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post by kentuckymommy Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Surely the products sold where you are can be purchased online and shipped to the U.S. ? It may be pricey but worth it after reading your post. I have always been told by every vet to use the pill or frontline. My spaniel is allergic to frontline and in all honesty I wasn't aware of any other medications for fleas other than shampoos at the stores.
THANK YOU for that post
kentuckymommy
kentuckymommy
Graduate
Graduate

Number of posts : 100

https://www.facebook.com/brandistandifer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmaLJ81 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 pm

We had an e-amil up date from the breeders yesterday. Loki (as Puppy is called) has been given a millbemax wworm tablet. But as far as flea and tick is concerned he has not been doen as Mum andhis "auntie" are fully up to date with flee and tick treatmetn so its up to us.

I am going to have a chat with the vet when I take him for his 1st jab (a coupel of days after we have picked him up)

Some one I work with use Garlic tablets for and tea tree (on the collar) for flea and ticks. Not sure i like that idea though.
EmmaLJ81
EmmaLJ81
Puppy
Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Are you saying the puppy has not been any prevention treatment for fleas? I would be very concerned with that if it is correct. Usually puppies are given treatment every two weeks from birth. Even if the parents are up to date with their treatment I would still do the puppies. I would have a word with your vet so as not to worry you. Cannot help you as regards garlic etc I use Millbemax and Frontline from my Vet - not online as the strength is weaker than Frontline Combo (only available from the Vets) . I have looked into the Verm X which looks good but as I have two dogs I think it works out a little expensive. That is just my opinion though.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmaLJ81 Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 pm

The vet advised the breeder that flea treatment was not needed as mum has not been out and up to date. I called a local vet. With regards to registering, and I asked about it. They said heshould be ok.
EmmaLJ81
EmmaLJ81
Puppy
Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by x Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I cant do any more than tell you the facts about the toxic chemicals we give our pets.

If a dog does not have a worm infestation then you dont need to use a worming tablet FACT. By insisting on using toxic wormers as a matter of routine when they are not necessary, you are actually weakening the animals gut every time they are made to swallow this pill. We all need a healthy gut to utilise the food that we eat, food being natures best medicine for good health. a compromised gut cannot absorb the health giving properties of the food eaten.These chemical wormers do a lot more than kill worms once they have been given to you pet. I use the Verm-X crunchies to keep my dog free of worms as these do not harm the gut , indeed they are not designed to kill worms, they simply make the environment in the gut uninhabitable for worms. The health of my animal takes priority over any saving made using chemicals. Indeed if my dog is healthy I have less visits to the vet. Verm-X crunchies are designed to be given daily as a treat , so they serve two purposes, helping her gut to resist worms and she enjoys them....not many dogs enjoy having a pill thrown down their necks.Tuppence is chemical free, no vaccinations, only her puppy shots, no chemical wormers and no chemical tick & flea treatments. There are other possibly cheaper herbal products available, but I like the convenience of these little biscuits, she has two every morning for her breakfast.I dont even have to mark the calender to remind me when to worm with a toxic chemical.Flea treatments can be just as harmful. Why anyone would willingly put toxins into their animal without doing research is beyond me. I have every intention of keeping my dog healthy and cant justify saving pennies above saving a life. Whatever you do do it with knowledge.

x
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:19 pm

tuppence wrote:I cant do any more than tell you the facts about the toxic chemicals we give our pets.

If a dog does not have a worm infestation then you dont need to use a worming tablet FACT. By insisting on using toxic wormers as a matter of routine when they are not necessary, you are actually weakening the animals gut every time they are made to swallow this pill. We all need a healthy gut to utilise the food that we eat, food being natures best medicine for good health. a compromised gut cannot absorb the health giving properties of the food eaten.These chemical wormers do a lot more than kill worms once they have been given to you pet. I use the Verm-X crunchies to keep my dog free of worms as these do not harm the gut , indeed they are not designed to kill worms, they simply make the environment in the gut uninhabitable for worms. The health of my animal takes priority over any saving made using chemicals. Indeed if my dog is healthy I have less visits to the vet. Verm-X crunchies are designed to be given daily as a treat , so they serve two purposes, helping her gut to resist worms and she enjoys them....not many dogs enjoy having a pill thrown down their necks.Tuppence is chemical free, no vaccinations, only her puppy shots, no chemical wormers and no chemical tick & flea treatments. There are other possibly cheaper herbal products available, but I like the convenience of these little biscuits, she has two every morning for her breakfast.I dont even have to mark the calender to remind me when to worm with a toxic chemical.Flea treatments can be just as harmful. Why anyone would willingly put toxins into their animal without doing research is beyond me. I have every intention of keeping my dog healthy and cant justify saving pennies above saving a life. Whatever you do do it with knowledge.

You are very good aren't you Carole? I totally see where you are coming from as regards worming. I think we (Royal we) are too quick to throw tablets down our beloved friends when it is not necessary. My problem is when it comes to vaccinations is that my insurance requires they are insured or it would be invalid if they were not vaccinated also a lot of kennels also insist on them being insured. And no not everyone puts their dogs into kennels. I know you don't insure Tuppence but I just wouldn't feel happy thinking of a large vet bill if I had to fork out for an operation even if I put that amount away each month as you do it still wouldn't have covered it when Tasha had her eye ulcers. I think at the end of the day it is down to personal circumstance.
Flea, tick and worming treatments 132239
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:23 pm

I use advocate for flea, tick and worms and Millbemax every 3-6 months for tape worms.
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:38 pm

sands-62 wrote:Are you saying the puppy has not been any prevention treatment for fleas? I would be very concerned with that if it is correct. Usually puppies are given treatment every two weeks from birth. Even if the parents are up to date with their treatment I would still do the puppies. I would have a word with your vet so as not to worry you. Cannot help you as regards garlic etc I use Millbemax and Frontline from my Vet - not online as the strength is weaker than Frontline Combo (only available from the Vets) . I have looked into the Verm X which looks good but as I have two dogs I think it works out a little expensive. That is just my opinion though.
FRONTLINE SHOULD NOT BE USED ON PUPPIES UNDER THE AGE OF 8 WEEKS OLD!!! If the other canines in the household have been regularly treated for fleas then the puppies are not going to pick any up as they are not going anywhere to pick them up.

Young puppies are wormed every couple of weeks from birth - and the need worming for roundworms. The reason for this is that bitches can pass roundworms onto their puppies before birth even though the bitch is free from roundworms herself. Therefore it IS IMPERATIVE that young puppies are wormed routinely - a wormy puppy can be very sickly, not thrive and even die.

Frontline is a flea and tick treatment and Frontline Combo should not be applied more frequently than every 2 months.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by x Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 am

sands 62 wrote You are very good aren't you Carole?

I have spent years researching these topics ( fleas ticks and worms ) and am now one of this years graduates from the Animal Care College after studying Complementary Therapies.Check me out on their website. Currently I am doing Advanced Nutrition for Dogs and Cats. I also give talks now to dog clubs about safe natural alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs used for fleas, ticks and worms. All of what I have said can be backed up by Veterinary research. I only want people to be informed that there are kinder ways to treat our pets. Flea, tick and worming treatments 132239

x
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmaLJ81 Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Thank you for your help everyone.

Loki has had is wrom tablet as I said but I will be flea/tick treating when we get him by that point he will be 8-9 weeks old.
EmmaLJ81
EmmaLJ81
Puppy
Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:02 pm

simbalove wrote:
sands-62 wrote:Are you saying the puppy has not been any prevention treatment for fleas? I would be very concerned with that if it is correct. Usually puppies are given treatment every two weeks from birth. Even if the parents are up to date with their treatment I would still do the puppies. I would have a word with your vet so as not to worry you. Cannot help you as regards garlic etc I use Millbemax and Frontline from my Vet - not online as the strength is weaker than Frontline Combo (only available from the Vets) . I have looked into the Verm X which looks good but as I have two dogs I think it works out a little expensive. That is just my opinion though.
FRONTLINE SHOULD NOT BE USED ON PUPPIES UNDER THE AGE OF 8 WEEKS OLD!!! If the other canines in the household have been regularly treated for fleas then the puppies are not going to pick any up as they are not going anywhere to pick them up.

Young puppies are wormed every couple of weeks from birth - and the need worming for roundworms. The reason for this is that bitches can pass roundworms onto their puppies before birth even though the bitch is free from roundworms herself. Therefore it IS IMPERATIVE that young puppies are wormed routinely - a wormy puppy can be very sickly, not thrive and even die.

Frontline is a flea and tick treatment and Frontline Combo should not be applied more frequently than every 2 months.

Oopps!! Flea, tick and worming treatments 132239
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:19 pm

kiss hugs 2