Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

+4
Michele
MrJ
simbalove
sandra
8 posters

Go down

ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by sandra Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm

fOUND THIS SITE : www.bowmeows.co.uk they sell RC and its a lot cheaper £24.99 for 7.5kg and free delivery over £ 30.00.
Hope it is ok to post this and is it in right place !!!
Sandra
sandra
sandra
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Registration date : 2008-09-30
Number of posts : 1130

Back to top Go down

ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by simbalove Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Thats fine Sandra xx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MrJ Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:40 am

the factory they make it isn't far from us! Smile although they seem to make other pet foods at the same factory too which i thought was weird Smile

We got sent some samples of the shih tzu one, not that we could test it on rupert although we did try with Charlie and he turned his nose up at it! but i was quite surprised how small the kibbles were! Smile
MrJ
MrJ
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-13
Number of posts : 301

http://www.fadeware.net

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:33 pm

I have found over the past that many of my shih tzu preferred to eat small kibble (which was a bit daft as they would crunch up a big dog biscuit no problem) - so I used to go around feeling through bags to check how big the "lumps" were before I bought them lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJ Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:55 pm

on a side note the word kibble makes me laugh! Smile
MrJ
MrJ
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by sandra Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I have tried mine on a few with bigger kibble but they wouldn't eat them, i would like to find a food that i could feed them both. With Oscar being a big lad at 10.5kg i'm bit wary about changing him weights2 vet said he is fine and not fat at all.
Sandra
sandra
sandra
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:32 pm

I have ordered some of this from my local pet shop today, to see how
my two get on with it.
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert & Teresa Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi Michele,
Just one thing,always get a good sell by date if you are getting especially the bigger bags or lots of buy one get one free.We ended up getting about seven 3kg bags of Mini Junior to last us until Millie is 10 months old.Then we will start Millie on the Shih Tzu one.It's going to be the 7.5kg bag,so that should last about 2 months.
Robert & Teresa
Robert & Teresa
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2009-08-06
Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert & Teresa Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:33 pm

We have also always weighed her food out!Do anyone of you do this!
Robert & Teresa
Robert & Teresa
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJ Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 pm

how much food should you give a puppy if you are weighing it out? Smile
MrJ
MrJ
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Simbas food always gets measured, but Mintys doesn't because he has always had Burns, and I hope after 7 and a half years of measuring his food twice a day, I can judge how much he should be having! Also Simba is still on the same food the breeder recommended (she said to keep him on it for at least a month, to avoid upset tummies), and he has about half a bag left.

As for how much, it all depends which food you are using, as different foods need different amounts. Some go by the expected adult weight of the dog, and some by the present weight of the dog, so it is hard to say. Also each dogs appetite will vary slightly, so to a point, it is see what they want to eat.
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by sandra Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I have a measure for mine both have same amount although Oscar weigh a lot more than Holly, Holly weighs 5.5kg Oscar 10.5kg they never finish each others food , Oscar's weight is'nt even on the chart weights2
Sandra
sandra
sandra
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:04 pm

All the dry foods (and tins for that matter) will usually state on the product how much you should be feeding per weight of dog. However - this is only a GUIDELINE and should not be taken as set in stone. Some dogs seem not to eat as much as the recommended amount of food, some may eat more - especially if you are changing from one type of food to another when it takes them time to adjust. So I guess what I am saying here is 1) don't panic if your puppy/dog does not eat what it says on the pack and 2) don't refuse your puppy/dog any extra if they seem hungry!! it is a trial and error process to get the amount just right and something that takes a bit of time to settle down (as you need to check the weight of your dog/puppy... not the WEIGHT exactly, the WAY it feels.... if you are feeding correctly you should be able to feel your dog's ribs without having to dig through the flesh for them, but they should have a covering of flesh over them!! Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Robert, thanks for the tip I have only ordered a small bag this time
to see how they get on with it, Poppy is only 8 months but the vet
has said it is fine for her to go onto the adult food, I have never weighed
food out for mine either, Wispa eats very little, and Poppy ate loads
up until a few weeks ago but now willleave food in her bowl, I think she
has probably just about stopped growing and doesnt need so much now.
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by sandra Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Mine never empty their bowls and Holly eats more than Oscar, we have my sons dogs stopping with us AGAIN one is choc lab and one springer they eat so quick and eat anything they are fed wagg , we thought it might encourage Oscar to eat his but no had couple mouthfuls at tea time then left it, the others soon finished it of and they are really skinny dogs !!
Sandra
sandra
sandra
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty ROYAL CANIN BREED SPECIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Robert & Teresa Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi,
Here's a link to view the Royal Canin "The Shih Tzu" PDF
http://www.royalcanin.us/brochures/MINI_Shih_Tzu_24_brochure.pdf
Robert & Teresa
Robert & Teresa
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by BernieB Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi I was just reading the link that was put up for royalcanin and I saw in it that the Shih Tzu has a very high rate of atopic skin disorders os Royal Canin Shih Tzu food better at preventing this skin complaint and is that why you all seem to be using it. My other Shih Tzu suffered really badly from atopic skin problems and was on steroids all his life, he even had to have his ear canals closed up as they were so bad so that is why i started Alfie on Burns but from reading about Royal Canin I wonder if this is what he should be on. Has anybody any advice on this as I really don't want to ever have to go down that road again groan
BernieB
BernieB
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2009-07-30
Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 am

HI Bernie - is Alfie doing OK on the Burns?? Is his skin OK? If the answer to both those questions is yes then I wouldn't worry and keep him on that. Burns is also supposed to be good for dogs with allergies and skin conditions so don't worry. I don't think there is a wrong or right food as long as you are buying from the better end of the pet market. I certainly wouldn't change my dog's food if he is settled on the one I use and is healthy on it and I was happy with it Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BernieB Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks for that, yes he is doing ok on the Burns and so far, the skin is fine although I have noticed in the last few days a few little bumps here and there that he is scratching, hopefully it is just something that might have bitten him when in the garden, I am inclined to panic where the skin is concerned having gone through so much with poor Nicky Crying or Very sad
BernieB
BernieB
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2009-07-30
Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:34 pm

and that is understandable Bernie - like I panicked the other day when Josh's glands were swollen (as I lost Precious to lymphosarcoma) but I don't think that harms as it means you are just being vigilant Very Happy

There are lots of little things that bite around this time of year so it is probably that (it is not likely to be food related unless you have only just switched to Burns love - just keep an eye on him (as you obviously are doing)xx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 pm

I took mine off kibble, and was feeding him Royal Canine from the first.
He gets a complete fresh meat diet now and it works wonders on him!
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-04-11
Number of posts : 738

http://www.vantzonnezicht.com/Javari.html

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Can't fault it - I have never had a shih tzu with the muscle that Josh has from his raw meat diet!! And rarely do we have tummy troubles and the coat condition and wealth of coat is amazing. I certainly recommend this type of diet Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Do you know if I can get BARF in the area of LLandeilo and Beddgelert for my Javari? To take his normal frozen Farmfood an Carnibest raw meat rolls with me for a period of more than two weeks and a total travel time of two days is a bit daunting to me.........
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 pm

There is a branch of Pets at Home at Bangor and also Carmarthen which stocks Natures Menu which is a BARF diet of raw whole ground meat (frozen) with added veg/rice - here is a link to the Natures Menu site toshow you what it is http://naturesmenu.co.uk/products/Frozen_Nuggets/Frozen_Nuggets/ They also stock frozen mince and frozen meat chunks. If you know the postcode of where you are staying you can put this into the nearest stockist locator on the Natures Menu site and it will give you the names and addresses of other pet shops stocking this in the area... though I would suggest you contact the pet shop in advance and make arrangements for them to have some in. Moast pet shops order from the company even if they don't have the natures menu in so they can get hold of this for you without much problem. Hope this helps you Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Sun May 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Lesley you are an angel! thank you
I found out through your website that in LLandeilo where we stay the first week there is a petstore that has Natures menu! I am going to call them so they have everything in stock for me.
For the second week I have to travel 12 miles to the nearest stockist but as the journey won't be that long I can always take some extra with me from Llandeilo dancing
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down