Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Home offered for an older dog EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Home offered for an older dog EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Home offered for an older dog EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Home offered for an older dog EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Home offered for an older dog EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Home offered for an older dog EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Home offered for an older dog EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Home offered for an older dog EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Home offered for an older dog EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Home offered for an older dog

+5
Famke
suzytzu
simbalove
sands-62
eighthofseven
9 posters

Go down

Home offered for an older dog Empty Home offered for an older dog

Post by eighthofseven Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi,

A few days ago, we said goodbye to our veteran Shih Tzu/Maltese cross, Alfie, at about the age of 18 (as he was a rescue, we never knew his exact age).

We have another purebred Shih Tzu who we adopted from Dogs Trust in the summer. She is 5, and has behavior problems from previous bad experiences, but we are working on her and things are slowly improving. Lottie is our second full Shih Tzu.

We would be prepared to consider taking in another adult Shih Tzu, even one with health problems, as our four years with Alfie - who was a doddery old gentleman already when he came to us - were immensely rewarding.

Any new potential resident would have to be carefully screened for compatibility with Lottie, who is a nervous little soul and needs gentle handling and reassurance. That would probably mean several meetings before the first "home visit". Vet etc. references available on request.

We live in Cheshire, but are prepared to travel reasonable distances.

Please get in tough by personal message of you hear of anything suitable.

Thanks

Jonathan.
eighthofseven
eighthofseven
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2013-01-21
Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Home offered for an older dog Empty Re: Home offered for an older dog

Post by sands-62 Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello and welcome Jonathan to Whispers. I love the name Lottie. It is probably the name I would choose if I were to have another Shih Tzu. I have two girls Mali & Tasha and would love another. They are like a box of chocolates you always want more. Hope you find another companion for Lottie. That was a grand age for Alfie, bless.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

HI Jonathan and welcome - sorry to hear of your loss but glad you have it in your hearts to welcome another little one into your home.

There are a couple of dogs on dogsblog at the moment - mostly in the south of england though one is midlands... don't know if they are of any help to you. We sometimes get people coming on here looking for homes for their dogs so it is worth popping on here every now and then xxx

http://www.dogsblog.com/category/shih-tzu/

Then there is shih tzu rescue:-

Wirral, Liverpool & District - Mrs J Ashton, Telephone 07775 952660, Email jo_walmsley at hotmail.com

and:-

]North East Shih Tzu Rescue
Mrs A Craggs
Newcastle Upon Tyne

01207 560046
and of course there is many tears:
http://www.manytearsrescue.org/dogslookingforhomes.php
and if you look in the rescue and recovery section there are links to the little dogs rescue and others Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by suzytzu Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi, have just seen a 13yr old boy on pets 4 homes adoption page hes in warrington, cheshire. Hes got a few health issues but hes absolutly stunning. If we still lived in Runcorn he might be coming to live with us in the mad house, hes so cute!
suzytzu
suzytzu
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2011-04-26
Number of posts : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 am

Here is the advert (I could NEVER in a million years get rid of my elderly dog Sad )

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/212213-can-you-give-jj-a-loving-home-warrington.html

Here is another one looking for a home in Cannock Staffordshire - not too far from Cheshire either

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/201325-male-shih-tzu-4-years-old-needs-loving-home-cannock.html
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Famke Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm

The last one alrady has a new home I read in the description Lesley!
Famke
Famke
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-04-11
Number of posts : 738

http://www.vantzonnezicht.com/Javari.html

Back to top Go down

Post by jay16570 Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

i hope jj finds someone to take him.at 14 he deserves a loving home,it does read famke that barney has chose a new home.i have always been lead to believe that shih tzu are a non allergy dog,im allergic to dogs and cats,and when we looked into a breed of dog that i would be ok with,shih tzus were on the list.i cant get my head round how all of a sudden the owner is allergic to her 14 yr old dog,or is the real reason its more costly having an older dog with some health issues.
jay16570
jay16570
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2011-06-01
Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post by eighthofseven Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:51 pm

jay16570 wrote:i hope jj finds someone to take him.at 14 he deserves a loving home,it does read famke that barney has chose a new home.i have always been lead to believe that shih tzu are a non allergy dog,im allergic to dogs and cats,and when we looked into a breed of dog that i would be ok with,shih tzus were on the list.i cant get my head round how all of a sudden the owner is allergic to her 14 yr old dog,or is the real reason its more costly having an older dog with some health issues.

Sensetization does happen. My partner wasn't allergic to cats until a few years ago. Now she has to carry an Epipen. She never had a reaction to Harvey, or Lottie our current Shih Tzu - but she was a bit allergic to Alfie who was a crossbreed.

JAF
eighthofseven
eighthofseven
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Famke wrote:The last one alrady has a new home I read in the description Lesley!

Didn't have time to read long descriptions as I was doing it in work!! Razz
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 am

I feel so sorry for those two, especially the older one. Surely at that age it would be hard for him to adapt?

On the topic of allergies my son had a weird experience when he and his wife got a beagle puppy. My son found he was wheezing all the time and his eyes were constantly red, bit like when he has a bout of hay fever. When he came round to our house or was at work the symptoms cleared up. Turned out he was allergic to the beagle, which we thought really odd as we have a labrador and he was always fine with her when he lived at home.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 am

Funny you should say that Lyn... I had a friend whose husband's father kept an aviary and her husband used to help look after the birds when he lived at home. A little while after they got married he fancied having a couple of finches himself and got some. Shortly after that he became really ill and the doctor diagnosed allergy to the finches. He was gobsmakced and said it couldn't be them surely as he had lived with birds all his life until he got married. The doctor said that often people develop a resistance to the thing that causes them allergic reaction but then when you are not in contact for a while and then reintroduce it kickstarts the allergice reaction! My friend's husband was not realoy convinced but rehomed the birds as the doctor suggested and lo and behold his symptoms disappeared!

I was the same with my cat Simba - I knew I had a little bit of a problem with his fur as I was forever rubbing my itching nose. I had allergy tests which showed I was allergic to cats but also massively allergic to other things like house dust house dust mite grass tree pollens so there was no way I was getting rid of my lovely baby! Shortly after I lost him I went to a colleague's house who had two british blues. They were not in the house during my visit but within half an hour I was fighting for breath! I can't even touch a cat now!

Allergies are very weird things!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 am

See there was me thinking my son just had an allergy to beagles, but reading your post Lesley, well I now wonder if perhaps he has developed an allergy to dogs in general. I do hope he hasn't as they are hoping to get a labrador puppy next year and it would be awful if they had the same thing happen all over again confused

Mind you having just typed that I have just remembered that last year he and his family had to move in with us for 6wks while they were waiting to buy their house and he was fine all that time here. I'm even more confused now lol!

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by jay16570 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:14 pm

i no allergies can just come out of nowhere,mine did i started 5 years ago i became allergic to dogs ,cats ,rabbits, house dust mite and we had a rabbit when i was diagonosed when i had a bad attack and ended up at hospital thats when i then found out that i had these allergies,although i had been brought up around dogs rabbits ,mine is managed with daily medication and also a epipen if its needed,being a taxi driver i also have to display a badge excempting me from even carring guide dogs.we still have the rabbit who is now nearly 7 yrs old as long as i wear a mask,gloves and take my tablets i can feed him ,clean him out and look after him,and when ruby has been playing with him my wife has to give her a good brush to make sure none of his fur is on her,my comment earlier on this page about the 14 yr old dog needing a new home,was because iv never heard of anyone being allergic to a shih tzu.
jay16570
jay16570
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2011-06-01
Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:23 pm

I was reading a poem on a dog class site and it was about a family getting bored of owning their dog and when they took it to the shelter they said someone in the family had become allergic to it, so might be something some people say to cover up the real reason why they are rehoming a dog. Not saying's it's necessarily what has happened here, but like you say they are not a breed that people are usually allergic to.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 pm

My dad who loves mags to bits gets a bit red eyed and sniffly around dogs it can be dog salva ppl r allergic to as well as fur and skin
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Post by MeggieMoo Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:34 pm

I get so sad when I see these adverts. I couldn't ever give up my animals - I made a commitment to them when I got them (bit like the OH lol)

Those pics of the older dog really bring a tear to my eye :o(

I hope he finds the home he really deserves and soon
MeggieMoo
MeggieMoo
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2012-11-23
Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by eighthofseven Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm

MeggieMoo wrote:I get so sad when I see these adverts. I couldn't ever give up my animals - I made a commitment to them when I got them (bit like the OH lol)

It is sad, but sometimes people's circumstances change drastically; they are ill, have an accident, or have to move at short notice. That doesn't mean they feel good at having to say goodbye to their pet, but better that it goes to a safe, caring home.
eighthofseven
eighthofseven
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down