Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
can i blame the kid? EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
can i blame the kid? EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
can i blame the kid? EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
can i blame the kid? EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
can i blame the kid? EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
can i blame the kid? EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
can i blame the kid? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
can i blame the kid? EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
can i blame the kid? EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

can i blame the kid?

+2
Liz b
Golder
6 posters

Go down

can i blame the kid? Empty can i blame the kid?

Post by Golder Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 pm

or should he know better?

ted is 10 months now and is still mouthy towards meeting people and my son(4) mainly when he is excited, teddy is kept mainly in the kitchen at the minute throught the day as when hes in contact with my son they become hyper and the biting starts! ive tried keeping him calm (my son) it doesnt last drives me bonkers and i put ted back in the kitchen. ted is excellent in every other way, es great off lead and walking and sitting and when son is in bed he cuddles up great after hes walk, now do i blame the dog of the kid for the biting? is it normal for a dog of his age to still use his mouth, he doesnt with me or husband or even my 2 year old! im at loss how do i stop it id like ted to be able to be in with us during the day but its just not possible the way they are together
Golder
Golder
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2011-10-12
Number of posts : 75

Back to top Go down

can i blame the kid? Empty Re: can i blame the kid?

Post by Liz b Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Our cocker spaniel used to get a bit excited and used to mouth a lot so what we did was have a stair gate to the living room when there was times were excitement e.g. Visitor he would stay put there until he was completely calm e.g. Lying down If he came in like a bull in a china shop without word was led back out this involves getting up and down until finally they get the message
We also used to make a very high pitched squeak or noise if he nibbled us. This is what his litter mate would have done if they hurt each other the seem to stop if they don't out the room with out word or u can use a ah ah sound but I never used words as they don't understand this at all. The dog has to be were he can see so stair gate or whatever u use needs to be on living room or where ever there is activity. It's like a doggy time out but it's important for them to learn so whatever u choose to do all adult members in the house has to do it
This is the only thing I can think of I think just leaving in the kitchen will never make him learn to stop and control his excitement
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Post by Golder Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 pm

my house is full of gates, he sits on the other side of it in the kitchen hes perfectly calm till he entres, and my son squells like a girl when hes bit automatically? and he carries on, ted wont touch anyone else?
Golder
Golder
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:22 am

When you say biting and mouthing I take it you mean playbiting? Ted sees your son as another puppy and of course when kids squeal and wriggle and run around it is all part of the "fun"! Putting him out or in "time out" is not addressing the problem or going to solve it. You can't blame the dog if your son gets him over-excited and you can't blame your son as children will naturally get over excited and run around and squeal especially when a puppy nips at them in play - which is then what the puppy thinks is acceptable! This is one of the reasons why many breeders and almost all rescue centres won't allow puppies to go to homes with children under 5.

Having said that there are lots of families with young children and shih tzu puppies and there is nothing nicer for a child than to grow up with a dog! I don't want to suggest anything here that might spoil the development of that relationship but both you, your son and Ted need some training in dog handling. I would suggest that you find out where there is a dog training class near you and get yourselves along there for on the spot help. The Kennel Club Good Citizen scheme is excellent as it is a holistic training - not just dog training but training for the whole family. the Kennel Club will send you a list of classes in your area.
It really is vital that you get some guidance and control of both parties.
As Ted is only 10 months old you technically have 2 excitable toddlers running amok in your house!

While you are sorting the training class out, you can do things like get your son to feed Ted, making Ted sit and wait while he puts down the food and waiting for a command to eat. Encourage your son and Ted to sit for quiet times and if either of them become hyper then start some discipline in both of them by having your son sit down and look at a book or something and have Ted lie down on the floor. Show your son how to throw a toy for Ted and also help him to do some training with Ted getting Ted to sit and lie down etc for rewards. Show your son how to react if Ted gets over-excited by quietly folding his arms, standing very still and turning his back on the dog and when Ted calms down giving him a reward/treat.

Keeping them separate is adding fuel to the fire as when they get together they are going to be worse and it is quite unfair on the puppy who does not know why he is being exiled from his family.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 am

I would echo everything Lesley says but also make sure you enjoy the fact that your son and Ted have such a lovely relationship. In time they will be inseparable I think and lovely companions. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by jofinn Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:49 pm

my youngest and Caleb can get a bit carried away when playing and I'm sure Caleb was seeing him as a litter play mate. he would bark for my son to put him on the sofa etc and my son was doing what Caleb wanted, which I have now stopped as this is when playing was getting too rough. at 7 my son has understood this and is doing some basic training with him and holds the lead with me beside them when we go for walks and this has improved their friendship and the play time is much better for both when it doesn't get to the rough bitey stage.
jofinn
jofinn
Puppy
Puppy

Registration date : 2012-05-22
Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 pm

That is so how to do it jofinn - boys and puppies are a recipe for mayhem but both parties have to learn where the line is drawn. It is a bit harder with a 4 year old but he is still old enough to start to learn - another thing you could get him to do supervised of course is to learn to playfight with the use of a glove puppet. I use an ordinary furry dog puppet but there was a special one on the market even more padded called a bitemeez but I can't find it online at the moment Sad Playing in this way allows the puppy to satisfy his playbite needs while protecting hands and arms and develops the bond/trust between owner and dog.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Golder Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 am

We are working on it Very Happy

can i blame the kid? Ab8115c9

He's been in with us all day for the past 3 days other than meal times, ds is the one causing me most grief but he's getting better hoping it gets easier as the novelty wears off of him being around iykwim, teds lead walking is not good enough for ds to walk him, he pulls to much (working on that but ted spends a lot of time off lead over the forest x

Thank for all your advice we are getting there
Golder
Golder
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 am

I love that photo, they are definitely going to be best friends as they grow up together which is the loveliest thing in the world. Watching them play together, and enjoying each others company is a very special bond and the most amazing feeling ever. Shih tzu love children and if they can find a special one to share their life with they are so happy. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:07 pm

two leads - pne you hold and one for your son xxxx keep at it - you will get there and love the photo xxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Lovely photo, my grandaughter loves to hold Wispa's lead while she sits in the buggy to take her for a walk, luckily Wispa just plods along, unless she sees a cat:lol!: x
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum