Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    Microchipping with the second vaccination EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    April 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Microchipping with the second vaccination

+8
    Bensmam
    Michele
    Michaela
    sands-62
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Tracy
    denie1234
    simbalove
    12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Microchipping with the second vaccination Empty Microchipping with the second vaccination

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:52 pm

I decided to have Isabella chipped yesterday when she had her second vaccination - my vet had mentioned it on the first vax and then I asked him yesterday - he said I could elave it till I had her speyed if I liked then I thought she is cute and over friendly and would go to anyone at least if she is chipped and ends up in another vets I would have some sort of tracking so asked if she was big enough to which the vet said yes so I decided to go for it! I don't remember the needle being like that when I had Josh done although it was bigger than a normal needle but now it was like a pair of scissors with a syring plunger and the needle looked like a metal drinking straw with a point!

Poor Isabella - I don't know if she squirmed first and that is why it hurt her so or she squirmed because it hurt her but she was very very upset and bled quite a lot and it took Mike and myslef quite a few minutes to calm her down and him quite a few minutes to stop the bleeding. I know Josh didn't squeak although he was a couple of months older. I felt absolutely awful about it - although she was fine a couple of hours later. If I had the chance again I would wait!!

Just thought I would post this for you to be aware - because it was quite distressing to witness teddy hug teddy hug
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Microchipping with the second vaccination Empty Re: Microchipping with the second vaccination

Post by denie1234 Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

hi hunnie ,thats exactly what happened to mollie but they took her in another room so i wouldnt see but ive seen the needle before ,but i heard her yelp and felt terrible i wasnt there to give her a cuddle straight away ..that evening i couldnt even pick her up as she kept crying and it wasnt until the afternoon the next day that she was back to normal again ..when i rang the vets he said it was normal for a small puppy to feel like that after as she was probably very sore and tender ... hope isabella is ok now xxxxxxx

denie1234
    Graduate
    Graduate

Registration date : 2010-06-01
    Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Microchipping with the second vaccination Empty Re: Microchipping with the second vaccination

Post by Tracy Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 pm

They took Oscar into another room as well because I quote "He's not going to like this" All I heard was all the nurses telling him how gorgeous he was. He had blood on his coat when he came back out. Hope Isabella is ok now teddy hug
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
    Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Isabella is fine now - all forgotten (well not quite because she cried allthe way over to Barry in the car today which she hasn't done since day one because she has learnt that cars mean nice things until yesterday!!) xxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

I agree, I would not have mine microchipped again unless they were under as it is not a nice experience. I was fortunate not to take mine to have theirs, my partner did and they were both a little traumatised by it.

Hope Isabella is ok?! xxxx teddy hug
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
    Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 pm

Yeah it would take a lot more than a microchip to knock her down... she is more than a match for Josh too lol! Going to be uploading a video shortly to prove it!
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 pm

I just watched it on facebook! She's the boss I think! Poor Josh LOL
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:01 pm

It's definite she pinches his biscuits and tells him off if he as much as sniffs at them lol! but he does tell her off when she pulls his moustache hard!!
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Well I think we can safely say Isabella has settled in. I do agree about microchipping. I think I said in a recent posting how poorly Mali was after having her second vax and a microchip as well. I haven't had Tasha Microchipped for that reason . But having watched a very happy reunion with a dog on Animals 24/7 tonght I do wonder if she should be. Because if the dog hadn't been microchipped they would not have been reunited, and she would have been put down .teddy hug
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm

I do think it is a good idea - didn't years ago when they first came out and there were lots of worries about migrating chips etc - but in this day and age it is a good idea to make sure your dog can be reunited with you quickly.

I am sure with Josh who was much older than Isabella he didn't even flinch so Tasha would probably be OK as she is not a little puppy anymore. I didn't think till after but shih tzu pups are just scrawny necks there isn't much flesh there!

Meant to say that Isabella settled in the moment we came home from her breeder Very Happy teddy hug
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 pm

she's a darlingI can't wait to see her again
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 pm

she can go down on the floor for walking from next thursday!!!! Name your day Very Happy
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Friday evening or Saturday morning works for me Very Happy

And she can go on the floor matters how?????? I don't recall either me or Mike letting Jasmine walk much!

Last edited by Tracy on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm

either for me too Very Happy Very Happy
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:34 pm

My vet won't micro chip them unless they are under. He recomended doing it when we have Biscuit castrated, which reminds me to get him booked in as he is now 7 and a half months now.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-01-27
    Number of posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:11 am

My vet likes to microchip when they do a free health check at six months, as she thinks they are too small to have it done with their vaccinations x
    Michele
    Michele
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
    Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I think that is good advice too after Isabella's trauma - though I can say that she has not had any lasting effects Very Happy
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Michaela wrote:My vet won't micro chip them unless they are under. He recomended doing it when we have Biscuit castrated, which reminds me to get him booked in as he is now 7 and a half months now.

I don't want to poke my nose in here but why don't you wait a little?? castration affects the coat and can make them woolly - if you are going to keep him in coat then why not wait until the second coat comes in? he will also be that much older and stronger too. Just a thought teddy hug
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bensmam Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh poor Isabella! Though, like you say Les, it'll take more than that to keep her down!
    We microchip at FOA. Little Ben was done last night and hardly flinched. It seems that white dogs bleed more and the Terriers with thin skins do to.
    Most of the rescue dogs are used to rough handling and so a micro chip is taken all in its stride. Although Eileen and myself did the course together, I normally hold and let Eileen do the 'shooting'!! I don't like it when they squeak and it does go through me, the thought of that huge needle. However, 5 minutes of upset far outweighs the thought of anyone stealing her or her getting into the wrong hands.

I watched Animal 24/7 last night and saw the little Staffie being reunited with its owner after 2 months of living in a communal cupboard in a block of flats, poor baby!

We have so many strays come into rescue and its quite obvious that someone has loved and nurtured that dog - yet didn't get it microchipped for whatever reason. These dogs are then rehomed by us and to the previous owners, they are lost forever. this makes me so sad when I think that there could be a familly grieving without ever knowing the fate of their pet.
    I am definitely in favour of identification so we can trace each dog to a particular breeder, owner or rescue.

Bensmam
    Minor Puppy
    Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2010-05-23
    Number of posts : 15

http://www.friendsoftheanimalsrct.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Lesley, you are not poking your nose in. Any advice you can give is always very welcome. At what age will the next coat come in? He is very rampant with anything in his way at the moment does this phase pass? Would it be better to get Kimba spayed then when she is older. I am haveing great trouble with Biscuits coat at the moment although I am using the 15-1 as you told me to and doing as you said every day he has a different mat in the fur. and they seem to be getting bigger. Please and more advice. Which I lived closer to you so youcould show me what I must be doing wrong. I have the Mason brush and a rotating comb.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by x Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:55 am

I have used a mikki mat splitter on any bad mats that I found on my yorkies in the past and have only used a couple of times on Tuppence mainly behind her ears and elbows. You can buy it from most pet shops ...its a flat disc shape with a hook, in the arch of the hook is a small sharp blade....you use the hook inserted into the mat and slide down as you do this it slices through the mat and makes it easier to comb out ...you can repeat this few times. It is a better finish than using scissors as you dont get a straight cut.....and it will also help you to get the lovely long coat which is easier to look after than you think....and cheaper... letting you spend more on nice things for your dog

x
    Open Dog or Bitch
    Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-29
    Number of posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Thats a good idea - I have seen those in Pets at Home.

Michalea are you leaving the conditioner solution in the final rinse? and are you blow drying his coat? Having two pups is going to be slightly harder work as when they play the matt the coat up sometimes (I am going to have a bit more work cut out for m e today when I bath Josh because of a certain little monster who thinks pulling hair/coat is great fun).
    TBH if you are only neutering one then I would personally opt for the bitch as then you don't have the problems of the seasons and false pregnancies but that is my choice (I have a great problem with neutering either and am going to have to be very firm with myself over Isabella lol!)

The change of coat can happen anytime around 11 months onwards and it can be quite hard work much as you areexperiencing at the moment but once that happens the coat usually becomes easier to manage. If you are haivng these problems now then neutering will probably make it harder as the coat does tend to become woollier.
    I wish I was closer because then I would be able to show you how to groom. One thing I would say is if you feel event he slightest knot forming, tease it out with your fingers straight away so that it doesn't build up into a matt.

How warm is your house? Mind you it has been so hot recently that could well be the cause of your problems now. you can oil the coat which helps at times like this (Biogroom is one such product though there are others available) - it leaves the coat a little oilier but does help stop the mats. Do you have any of the Cowboy Magic concentrated detangler (the one that is like a serum) cos that is useful too for putting on a matt before trying to work it out?
    Do you separate the coat to groom - I use little butterfly clips to move the top of coat out of the way while I groom the bottom layer and then work up through the layers. I can't even put a video on as I have noone here to film me while I do it Sad

Make sure Biscuit gets some oil in his diet too (oily fish is good for them or just plain vegetable oil - or you can go to the expense of buying a product specially to enhance the coat).

Make sure you spray the matt and tease out as much as you can with your fingers first then hold the coat close to the skin as you comb through with the tip of a wide toothed comb so that you are taking the strain of the combing rather than pulling on Biscuit's skin. If it is wet or covered in serum you should be able to see the knot itself which is usually quite small despite how large the matt seems.

Just check also that Kimba is not licking him - that can cause havoc with a coat. I try to stop most likcing and tugging/scraping of coats to protect the coat and the poor recipient.

Hope this helps a bit - send me a photo if you can and I will have a better picture of what is going on xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Bensmam wrote:Oh poor Isabella! Though, like you say Les, it'll take more than that to keep her down!
    We microchip at FOA. Little Ben was done last night and hardly flinched. It seems that white dogs bleed more and the Terriers with thin skins do to.
    Most of the rescue dogs are used to rough handling and so a micro chip is taken all in its stride. Although Eileen and myself did the course together, I normally hold and let Eileen do the 'shooting'!! I don't like it when they squeak and it does go through me, the thought of that huge needle. However, 5 minutes of upset far outweighs the thought of anyone stealing her or her getting into the wrong hands.

I watched Animal 24/7 last night and saw the little Staffie being reunited with its owner after 2 months of living in a communal cupboard in a block of flats, poor baby!

We have so many strays come into rescue and its quite obvious that someone has loved and nurtured that dog - yet didn't get it microchipped for whatever reason. These dogs are then rehomed by us and to the previous owners, they are lost forever. this makes me so sad when I think that there could be a familly grieving without ever knowing the fate of their pet.
    I am definitely in favour of identification so we can trace each dog to a particular breeder, owner or rescue.

I agree with you totally and what you said about white coats and thin skins is very pertinent here as Isabella has paper fine skin at the moment and also the chip went into her large white area. It was distressing at the time but puppies are very resilient and she has soon forgotten it (just like the beating she got off Josh yesterday for NO apparent reason - she was very upset and scared last night but still had a rough and tumbel with him this morning.... I am hoping that there is nothing going on with Josh as he was like a jekyll and hyde - though he does have sore eyes and is on metacam too which might be playing a part if he isn't feeling up to scratch!!)

Sorry I didn't get to meet little Ben but glad he has found a lovely forever home xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for advice. Yes I leave the conditioner in the final rince like you said. The other problem is Biscuit hates been groomed. But i am determined to keep his coat long. No I didn't do the under side then th etop in layers. But will from now on. I have the cowboy magic conditioner detangle so will also try that. Should I put the Vegetable oil on their dried food? I feed Green Dog in the morning and natures choice banquet nuggets in the evening. His coat is quite dry and flighty.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:22 pm

You can add the oil to either dish Very Happy If his coat is dry and flighty then it is in need of some oil - you might need to put an extra capful of conditioner in the final rinse - oh and I use THE STUFF and spray the coat layers before I dry them - that adds an oilier texture so may well help. The Cowboy Magic detablger will also add a slightly greasy feel - though I have found it to make the coat mroe fly- away with this.

The Bio Groom Super Cream or Bio Groom Vita Oil might help (the fact that the coat is dry and fly away is why it is mattihng so badly hun so you need to get some oil into the coat to help prevent this):-

http://www.petcetera.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Bio___Groom.html

This is also o good spray in conditioner that I use

If you have the Vitapointe conditioner - this is a leave in conditioner and you can use that on your hands and wipe the coat to help in the short term xxxxxx Click here for Ice on Ice
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next