Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please

2 posters

Go down

Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please Empty Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please

Post by Miasmummy Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:02 am

Hi everyone, My little girl Mia is 7 months old and real sweetie, great with everyone, until shes being brushed or combed, then she turns into this screeching growling monster ,she bears her teeth and bites and snaps. Its even scaring the kids now.

I know Im not hurting her as I make sure she has no matts so I know Im not pulling them, so Im at my witts end as to how to handle this.

Has anyone else had this problem please?? I could do with some advise as to how to deal with it, thanks. Tracey and Mia xx

Miasmummy
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2009-02-17
Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please Empty Re: Aggressive whilst being brushed ...advice needed please

Post by simbalove Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Tracey the important thing is that you don't let her win... she has to be groomed and she has to get used to it. Has she been to the groomers because if she has someting might have scared her or there might have been a knot/mat which caused her some pain and that could have caused this.... or maybe just at 7 months she is starting to test the water and see how much she can get away with.

Where do you usually groom her? If it isn't on a table then I recommend you use a table possible with a rubber mat on so that she doesn't feel as if she is going to slip off. You need to start off little and often so that the grooming sesssion is not seen as an ordeal byt her. What I did when I had one that didn't like being groomed and turned into a mad thing was have lots of treats to hand. Try not to panic or show her you are worried and if she does go to bite you just try to block her with the brush or comb (if they bite the comb they do think twice the next time lol!). Do a little bit, keeping calm but confident, talking to her encouragingly but in a matter of fact way... as you brush a little bit, give her a small treat and tell her she is a good girl then do a little more and repeat the process.

Only do this for a couple of minutes at a time but repeat the session a little later on (little but often till the coat is completely groomed). Make sure you end it on a good note.

Whatever you do don't stop if she gets aggressive otherwise she is learning how to dominate you.

Have you done any training with Mia? If not I would suggest you try to find a puppy training class in your area, preferably one that offers the Kennel Club Good Canine Citizen courses because they are not so much obedience as the whole package of training dog, owner and good animal management and usually work with the whole family. If you contact the Kennel Club (I will put a link at the bottom of the post) they will provide you with a list of clubs in your area. Apart from developing Mia's training and your confidence with her, they will also be on hand to advise you on how to combat this problem and, as one of the part of this programme is grooming your pet, they will give you pointers on how to effect this without aggression.

I hope you sort this out quickly and then you can all get on with enjoying your puppy.

BTW try and do the grooming when the children aren't around (for the time being) so that you can deal with Mia without the children passing their emotions on the the puppy Very Happy

KC Good Canine Citizen Scheme Link
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down