Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy

+10
Mercedes55
Michele
sands-62
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Sandi
x
ewok26
jketernity
YoshiSweet
simbalove
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy Empty House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy

Post by simbalove Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 am

House training a puppy is probably considered the most important training you need to do with your new baby yet most people leave a lot to chance and don't understand why the puppy doesn't "get it". This "skill" has to be taught and repeated over many months until the penny drops.

Usually the only toilet training habit a young pup has is that of "not soiling its own bed" but in the world of the dog that means that everywhere else is OK. The puppy does not know that he/she can't use your best carpet (he/she does not even know what a carpet is).

Just because when you are outside, the baby has a wee doesn't mean that he/she is toilet trained or that he/she even understands the principle - though it does help in that you can give loads of praise at this time.

Training your puppy to do his/her poo outside is rather easier because you get more of a warning before hand so have time to get the puppy outside more often.

This is what you need to do in order to instil good toileting habits.

You need to follow a regime of taking your puppy outside, standing with them and encouraging them with the word/command you have chosen to associate with house training (eg "be clean" "have a wee" etc) and these are the times you need to do it:-

• First thing in the morning
  • Every time the puppy wakes from a sleep
  • Every time the puppy has had food or a drink
  • Every time the puppy has had a little boistersous play
  • Every time the puppy has had a bit of excitement (a visitor or something)
  • And as many times as you can in between

This may seem rather time consuming but it is really necessary to develop the habit

It may take many months for the penny to drop although you should have less accidents by doing it this way. If you do have any accidents remember to stay calm and don't shout or tell the puppy off (it is a baby and doesn't know any different). Try to remain passive when you clean up any mess because if the pup thinks you are upset because he/she has piddled on the carpet they will be confused thinking that Mam has become
agitated when they did something which for them is a natural event and may well try to hide it from you the next time, which is how some dogs turn from piddling on the carpet to piddling on the sofa or your bed!!!

Most of all remember your puppy is still a baby, enjoy these puppy months because they pass so quickly.... enjoy your baby.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy Empty Re: House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy

Post by YoshiSweet Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks for this info. My puppy, Yoshi is now 8 weeks old and is paper trained, he always goes onto the paper to do his business. How can I get him to slowly move from the paper at the door to doing it outside?
YoshiSweet
YoshiSweet
Puppy
Puppy

Registration date : 2010-02-06
Number of posts : 31

http://www.desiredesignsdesiree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy Empty Re: House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy

Post by jketernity Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 am

I found the best way to move Pancakes from his training pads to the outdoors was to move the training pad to the back door, then have the training pad by the back door with the door open, then i moved it outside and took him out to do it on the training pad, then i removed the pads and he did it on the floor.
It takes patience and cant be done in one day, i moved it each step every 3 days...it worked though!
Now he knows when he goes for his long walk in the morning he does his business, then at lunch time he has a play and wee, then at night time he goes out the back for a wee before bed....
Routine, patience and persistance is key Smile
You could even try putting Yoshi on his first lead and just leading him out to the back garden to do his business, then he will get used to toilet time being on a lead. This is what my nan did with her puppy as my technique didnt work with her shih-tzu....trial and error!
jketernity
jketernity
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2010-01-31
Number of posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I totally agree with jketernity - this is what I did with Josh and ti worked brilliantly. You have to expect some accidents and mishaps and it will take a good few months before the penny completely drops about what you want but I think the fact that he is using the pads so well now is great because at least he won't be pidding everywhere Very Happy
I always find with the boys that when the hormones kick in 6 months plus they are great for peeing on walks and toilet training is far easier with them than the girls. (Though stopping at every lampost in the world can be rather tiresome lol!)
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YoshiSweet Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks jketernity and simbalove, I took Yoshi out this morning on his lead which was his first time and quite an interesting experience for both of us. Once I got him moving he loved it, then after running around for around 5 mins he did a wee on the concrete in the back. I was so proud of him, he knew I was by my voice and reaction, as well as the added treat. Soon after we came back in an 10 mins later he did a poo on the paper. I'll do the same tomorrow again, and hopefully time it better, so he does both outside.

Thanks again you both, the feedback helped.
YoshiSweet
YoshiSweet
Puppy
Puppy

Registration date : 2010-02-06
Number of posts : 31

http://www.desiredesignsdesiree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Bump for info
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:33 pm

bump
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ewok26 Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 am

Our house training isnt going to plan. She was doing well on puppy pads, but has recently started to pee where ever and when ever. we have started taking Lexi for walks now vaccinated but she does nothing when on a walk. she will go in the garden but only if outside playing not when taking out routinely as recommended. any suggestions?
ewok26
ewok26
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2011-03-20
Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by x Sun May 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Does she understand what you expect her to do when outside. I have trained my dog to do a wee on command. When you have her outside in the garden say the word wee wee ( or whatever word you choose ) when she does a wee praise and reward, soon she should asscociate the word with doing a wee. This all takes time and a lot of patience on your part. How old is Lexi ( love the name )?
We do tend to expect a lot from our dogs when all they have to go on is our body language . Dont ever get upset with her as Shih Tzu are sensitive little beings but you must train her and yourself to communicate in way you both understand. Patience is a real virtue.

x
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-29
Number of posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandi Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Our back door has been opened for weeks now and Baxter has been very good going outside every time until yesterday and I found two puddles on the dining room floor. Not sure why but he's been fine today, so I'm hoping it was just a wee accident

xox
Sandi
Sandi
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2010-12-12
Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by ewok26 Sun May 08, 2011 8:51 pm

She is 14 weeks old now. when we got her she was puppy pad trained and when she went on her pad or after waking etc id say to her have a pee then praise her so she knows what have a pee is but to her the garden is a play park. when she has accident i just clean it up and dont scold her as i know they are very sensitive little souls. I do have patience but thought it do no harm to ask advice. I also have a labrador cross staffy and house trained her in a week when we got her at 12 weeks so think I was naive thinking Lexi might be just as easy. She is such a great little dog and brilliant with the kids,she loves all the attention and fuss so not being house trained isnt a big issue at the moment. thanks for advice
ewok26
ewok26
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ioxia, Coco & Saska Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 pm

As they say all dogs are different, Coco was trained by about 7 months, Saska has taken forever, she is 3 years old now and even now she will have the odd accident indoors, but its not that long since she was house trained.

Whereas Coco goes to the door and whimpers, Saska just goes and pee's, although if I am in the kitchen and walking back into the room Saska will go towards the front door, so i know she needs out.
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2008-09-21
Number of posts : 987

http://www.freewebs.com/ioxia/

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 am

[img]http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk/House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy Dsc03315[/img]

Mali was trained in a few weeks but Tasha bless her is 2 1/2 years and still at nght will have the odd poo waitng for me in the morning. Tasha whinges when she wants to go out which is quite sweet and Mali just races to the door then back again to look at me and races back to the door and hopes I am their quick enough to open it and races down the path to the lawn.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ewok26 Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 am

glad to hear that all seems to be normal and that it not something I doing. Sands-62 that is a gorgeous photo. am hoping to get some more photos up now that know how to. thanks for everyones advice
ewok26
ewok26
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Mon May 09, 2011 11:42 am

I know that before I got Wispa and researched the breed that its says they are quite hard to toilet train, and yet Wispa was easy and she rings a bell to be let out, but then I got Poppy did everything the same with her and she was over 18 months before she got IT! Even now although we dont have any accidents she will hold a wee for hours and unless you take her for a walk she will take forever to have a wee in the garden, I am sure my neighbours are fed up of me constantly saying Poppy do Wee Wee's lol x
Michele
Michele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Bitches often prefer to go on home territory - when I showed my dogs the boys were great would cock their legs on the door posts as I took them out of the exhibition hall but my bitches would hang on, usually to the detriment of their movement, until they got home or more often till they could hold it no more and then they would be weeing as we walked in the show ring Sad

14 weeks is very young and any puppy will not really understand house training until they are several months old - in fact they do not have control of their bladder until this time. So house training is really the "knack" of getting puppy outside to go at a time when they "need" to go... putting your toilet commands with the actions and one day the peeny drops and they connect the two.

Often a second puppy causes problems because the training is not quite as it was with the first puppy especially as when the new puppy goes to the loo outside when they are both there doesn't mean it has understood why it is there.

For your own personal problem ewok, puppies can get very confused because 1st off it has learned to pee on a pad and then it is taken outside and doesn't connect the two things. I suggest you have a pee pad and when you take her outside put it down for her to go. Eventually you will be able to remove the pad. The best time to get her to understand that the garden is also a toilet is probably first thing in the morning when she wakes.

Hope that helps Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 am

Glad I found this thread as I've been telling Daisy off when I catch her peeing or pooping indoors. I am taking her out every couple of hours unless she's already been out after sleeping, playing etc. For the most part she is good and I just say 'go potty' to her until she goes and then give her loads of praise. However not sure if I should be using puppy pads indoors too for when she wants to go and is inside, or am I just going to give her more reason to do it indoors Shocked

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 pm

gr8 Smile btw I used puppy pads with Josh as I took him into work and it didn't seem to be a problem but with Isabella I just took her out often. Sometimes the pads can be useful like if you take her somewhere else with no access to outside. They mostly work out what is wanted as they grow up a bit. If she is using the pads then it might help prevent unwanted accidents elsewhere in the house (though a playing puppy doesn;t always realise until they are going lol!) - if she is not using the pads at all then I would probably say don't bother. Its up to you really but to finalise Josh's training I had to move the puppy pad to the garden and then he got the idea that was where he needed to go full stop Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 pm

simbalove wrote:gr8 Smile btw I used puppy pads with Josh as I took him into work and it didn't seem to be a problem but with Isabella I just took her out often. Sometimes the pads can be useful like if you take her somewhere else with no access to outside. They mostly work out what is wanted as they grow up a bit. If she is using the pads then it might help prevent unwanted accidents elsewhere in the house (though a playing puppy doesn;t always realise until they are going lol!) - if she is not using the pads at all then I would probably say don't bother. Its up to you really but to finalise Josh's training I had to move the puppy pad to the garden and then he got the idea that was where he needed to go full stop Very Happy

That is a very good tip about using them when going out, I hadn't thought of that. My mum had wanted to see Daisy at some point but obviously I am concerned about her peeing on her carpets, can't see that going down well. So a puppy pad would work for that and any other situations where we feel she may be 'caught short'.

I feel really bad now for telling her off, I thought I was doing the right thing but I can see it makes sense to ignore it but praise when she goes outside.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm

dog training has changed a lot over recent years as we get to understand them more and become better owners too Very Happy so don't beat yourself up about it xx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 am

I put her out first thing at about 7am and she did a pee eventually. Brought her in and about an hour later she did another one on the carpet but I just picked her up and put her outside and said nothing.

I was starting to worry that she wasn't pooping as I hadn't seen her do any yesterday, then I noticed two lots of it on the edge of the patio. Wondering if somehow at her breeders place she was encouraged to do that on concrete or may just be a coincidence. Have to say it's easier to pick up off the patio than on the grass.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am

Could well be that is where the breeder encouraged her to go, so she may be more used to going there. As long as it is outside that's the main thing! Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Is it just me or are Shih Tzu's slow to pee lmao

I think I could read War & Peace in the time we are walking round and round the garden before Daisy finally decides to have a wee.

She spends most of the time with her nose to the ground sniffing away and picking up any fallen leaf she can find. I had no idea they were such scavengers.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:I put her out first thing at about 7am and she did a pee eventually. Brought her in and about an hour later she did another one on the carpet but I just picked her up and put her outside and said nothing.

I was starting to worry that she wasn't pooping as I hadn't seen her do any yesterday, then I noticed two lots of it on the edge of the patio. Wondering if somehow at her breeders place she was encouraged to do that on concrete or may just be a coincidence. Have to say it's easier to pick up off the patio than on the grass.

Lyn

It is quite possible they only had concrete there... if you have several dogs it is easier to keep clean Smile BTW shih tzu often do two wees in a morning so get into the habit of taking her out again shortly after the first one Smile
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm

BUMP Smile
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next