Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    Walking in the rain or after it's rained EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    March 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Walking in the rain or after it's rained

+4
    Michele
    PhoebeMeesha
    daisydotes
    Kaz65
    8 posters

Go down

Walking in the rain or after it's rained Empty Walking in the rain or after it's rained

Post by Kaz65 Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Guy's having problems with Poppy if its raining or the floor is wet she wont walk. She just sits there looking at me and we don't move. OMG I tried today by walking in front of her while my daughter held her and shouted her to come to me. This worked a few times then after awhile she sat there shaking. I ended up carrying her home. Sad

How are your little ones in the rain or when the ground is wet. Did yours do this if so what did you do to help them overcome their fear. I have never had this before with my dogs but they have been much bigger then Poppy.

thanks
    Kaz65
    Kaz65
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-26
    Number of posts : 1975

Back to top Go down

Walking in the rain or after it's rained Empty Re: Walking in the rain or after it's rained

Post by daisydotes Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Can't help you there Karen cos both mine love the rain and will just go out and sit on the lawn until they are soaked lol!

Hopefully someone else can help
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-21
    Number of posts : 2688

Back to top Go down

Walking in the rain or after it's rained Empty Re: Walking in the rain or after it's rained

Post by Kaz65 Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 pm

I hope someone can as it's spoiling our walks sad sad2
    Kaz65
    Kaz65
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoebeMeesha Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:58 pm

Phoebe and the others all love the rain but Ella doesn't she hates it too. I have to lift her outside put her down and just walk and she has no choice but it is difficult. If it is windy aswell I have no chance at all:shock:
    PhoebeMeesha
    PhoebeMeesha
    Best of Breed
    Best of Breed

Registration date : 2008-09-25
    Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:22 am

Wispa hates the rain too, she put one paw outside and comes straight back in if its raining lol, and when its walk time we just have to tug her harness until she makes a move, and she wont walk in a puddle either
    Michele
    Michele
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-06
    Number of posts : 1938

Back to top Go down

Post by Jax Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 am

Don't talk to me about this silliness!
    We waited in all day yest in the freezing cold (heating was broken) hoping for it to stop raining, at last at 4pm we had some blue sky; so I called "walkies" to Mimi & she was all excited (usually we go in the morning as well) cos she'd been cooped up all day.
    However as soon as we got outside she kept doing her "I'm not budging routine" we had when she was a tiny puppy!
    At obedience classes they say to try & tempt them with treats, if that does not work call them in an excited & happy manner, if that does not work just stand there with your back to them & eventually, supposedly they will get fed up & start walking, if that does not work ensure the lead is on the back of the neck & gently pull/tug it so their forepaws are off the ground & start walking; they should follow.
    I can tell you I tried them all to no effect Mad. She just sat there like a lemon for 10 minutes - I was freezing, the pavement was wet so her underneath was dirty & sodden (she's nearly in full coat) then it started raining again. I will confess I got annoyed & that is where the negative energy comes in, I'm aware I should know better but I yanked on her lead too forcefully & she sort of swung through the air & I nearly strangled her pale. The way she loked at me was horrific, I was so upset, she was trembling so I started crying. I picked her up & cuddled her all the way home. I'm such a bad pack leader Crying or Very sad.
    Thank goodness dogs live in the moment this morning she seems to have forgiven me, we've had our loves & groomings, in a mo we are going to try another walk (I shan't be using the "tug" manouvre again that's for sure & I don't recommend it) & after lunch it's shower & blow dry time, (she is filthy).

Last edited by Mercedes on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Jax
    Jax
    Graduate
    Graduate

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLu Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:12 am

Willow is the same in the garden (not been for walks yet as only having first injection tomorrow) if it is raining she will just sit or lay there shaking, like she is terrified...normally she runs around like a lunatic!!

I hope someone can advise something to cure them of their fear, as I can imagine the problems it will cause while walking.

LoopyLu
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydotes Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am

It is very easy to get frustrated with these stubborn little fur baby's.Mercedes

Hattie has to have anti biotic eye drops 3 times a day and eye sooth drops twice a day.

Well so far and this is over a week now the drops have gone up her nose damn in ear damn almost down her throat damn in fact everywhere but her b****y eye No

I have tried tempting her with treats No securing her with her lead to the cupboard door handle above the worktop with her sitting on the worktop No (in the utility room)
    having her cuddled up on my lap No getting cross No being firm No getting hubby to hold her No No No I have just about given up now and just go on a wing and a 🙏 that I get them in eventually.

I just 🙏 she doesn't end up like Daisy and have to have ointment on daily basis cos then I would be pull hair out pull hair out pull hair out

Now Miss paragon of Virtue princess Daisy just sits and lets you put her ointment in no probs. stroke stroke stroke

Well I am off to do Hattie's morning drops so could be gone a while. scared 7 scared 7
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoebeMeesha Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:03 am

I know also with Feebs when we went for a walk near the sea (with lots of deep puddles left by the sea water ) she was so timid at first and stayed very close to me but once she fell in she loved it and I couldn't get her out of them lol I think they are frightened of the rain but I am sure if you do it all the more oftern she will get used to it and might start to enjoy her wet walks. Well lets hope so. Wink
    PhoebeMeesha
    PhoebeMeesha
    Best of Breed
    Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne & Gus Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 am

Gus isn't too keen I must admit. We have had non stop rain up here since..... 1995!!! No seriously though, it has been raining loads and he will go to the most sheleterd place for a pee! We were outside playing this morning and I felt a spot of rain, didn't think he's notice but when I looked round he had his toy in his mouth and was trotting up the drive to the door!!!! Looking at me as if to say, d'you reall think I'm gonna play in this!!!!
    Lynne & Gus
    Lynne & Gus
    Best of Breed
    Best of Breed

Number of posts : 1094

Back to top Go down

Post by Jax Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Well a little update on Mimi's walkies, she would not go out with her collar on this morn just sat in the doorway like a statue. I did not want to tug/yank/pull on it again cos god knows what damage I did yest Sad.
    So I had to dig out her old harness we abandoned over a month ago, cos it was causing matts. I had to adjust it larger (ah my baby has grown) but it did the trick, she came trotting out with me Very Happy.
    Hubby says he will take her out with the collar tomorrow & hopefully try & get her back to normalcy; she is very good with him as he seems to have calmer energy.
    Jax
    Jax
    Graduate
    Graduate

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoebeMeesha Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Thats great news party Feebs loves her harness too.

good job :angel3:

You must feel so much happier now stanim1
    PhoebeMeesha
    PhoebeMeesha
    Best of Breed
    Best of Breed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:01 pm

lol! lol! lol! I'm glad its not just Poppy that hates the rain. If she see's a puddle she will walk round it. I too tried a little tug on the lead but think this made her worse as she shook more. sad It was awful to see her sat there shaking so ended up carrying her home. sad

Daisy I know how it is trying to do something to their face as Poppy wriggles like mad no not me when I'm trying to wipe her eyes. Her Bow came today and ive tried loads of times to put it in but she wriggles to much so ive given up for now will get her when shes sleeping.
    tongue3
    Kaz65
    Kaz65
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:12 pm

daisydotes wrote:It is very easy to get frustrated with these stubborn little fur baby's.Mercedes

Hattie has to have anti biotic eye drops 3 times a day and eye sooth drops twice a day.

Well so far and this is over a week now the drops have gone up her nose damn in ear damn almost down her throat damn in fact everywhere but her b****y eye No

I have tried tempting her with treats No securing her with her lead to the cupboard door handle above the worktop with her sitting on the worktop No (in the utility room)
    having her cuddled up on my lap No getting cross No being firm No getting hubby to hold her No No No I have just about given up now and just go on a wing and a 🙏 that I get them in eventually.

I just 🙏 she doesn't end up like Daisy and have to have ointment on daily basis cos then I would be pull hair out pull hair out pull hair out

Now Miss paragon of Virtue princess Daisy just sits and lets you put her ointment in no probs. stroke stroke stroke

Well I am off to do Hattie's morning drops so could be gone a while. scared 7 scared 7

lol! lol! Take it thats a No No No No No No to all then.

No mine hate the rain as well....saying that i do so i would not want to go either Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydotes Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Well just back after doing hattie's drops no only joking she was quite good this morning. thumbs up 2

My two have been in and out of the freezing cold rain all day today both now have filthy paws and leggins sad
    daisydotes
    daisydotes
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:50 pm

Mercedes wrote:Well a little update on Mimi's walkies, she would not go out with her collar on this morn just sat in the doorway like a statue. I did not want to tug/yank/pull on it again cos god knows what damage I did yest Sad.
    So I had to dig out her old harness we abandoned over a month ago, cos it was causing matts. I had to adjust it larger (ah my baby has grown) but it did the trick, she came trotting out with me Very Happy.
    Hubby says he will take her out with the collar tomorrow & hopefully try & get her back to normalcy; she is very good with him as he seems to have calmer energy.

Lots of shih tzu don't seem to like the feel of a collar on their neck especially if it feels like it is pulling. Can you try using a lightweight showlead for getting her to walk on a collar and lead?? That's what I always do to begin with! That is one of the reasons she is ok with the harness as there is nothing around the neck area - but they do make an awful mess of a long coat! So try a showlead you can get them from eBay and places like COC and they are not very expensive and just use it to get her accustomed to the feel of it around her neck - once that is ok she will adjust to a normal collar and lead then! Very Happy

As for walking in the rain - would you like it if your tummy was trailing in the puddles?? bouncy lol bouncy lol
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down