Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Sorry to so frustrating :/(

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Sorry to so frustrating :/( - Page 3 Empty Re: Sorry to so frustrating :/(

Post by sands-62 Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 am

simbalove wrote:The food is frozen when you put it into the fridge so it is quite safe to be in there for 3 days but honestly I don't see what the problem is as it won't be hanging around for long.  It isn't a use by date lol!

It is far better quality than the Prize Choice freeflow - and I know as i was using that prior to wolftucker.

Whatever you feed raw is going to be better for your dogs than the kibble....

As for Henry Liz - the reason I fed Josh on raw in the first place was because of a gut problem...and we haven't looked back.

Strangely he is 8 years old now and this year was the first time he had a tummy upset and they both did and it was nothing to do with food.  So once in eight years for a dicky tummy is not that bad Very Happy

If I were to order a pack of Wolf Tucker that wouldn't matter that they were having different foods ie feed it in conjunction with the Berriewoods I am feeding now. I only say this as I am really only giving them chicken or beef on it's own or that with Tripe added. With Wolf Tucker they would be getting other fruit veg and herbs which I think would be a better balance. At the moment they are not getting offal. ?
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 am

sands-62 wrote:
simbalove wrote:The food is frozen when you put it into the fridge so it is quite safe to be in there for 3 days but honestly I don't see what the problem is as it won't be hanging around for long.  It isn't a use by date lol!

It is far better quality than the Prize Choice freeflow - and I know as i was using that prior to wolftucker.

Whatever you feed raw is going to be better for your dogs than the kibble....

As for Henry Liz - the reason I fed Josh on raw in the first place was because of a gut problem...and we haven't looked back.

Strangely he is 8 years old now and this year was the first time he had a tummy upset and they both did and it was nothing to do with food.  So once in eight years for a dicky tummy is not that bad Very Happy

If I were to order a pack of Wolf Tucker that wouldn't matter that they were having different foods ie feed it in conjunction with the Berriewoods I am feeding now. I only say this as I am really only giving them chicken or beef on it's own or that with Tripe added. With Wolf Tucker they would be getting other fruit veg and herbs which I think would be a better balance. At the moment they are not getting offal. ?

It wouldn't matter at all Carol - I only have not finished off the stuff I had as I wanted Josh to get started on the food straight away.  he has his vax this week so will get him weighed and see if he has put any back on - he feels like he has Smile
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks Lesley I just thought they may not be getting enough offal as they are only having tripe.
Mali seems to be a bit weightier. She is having her vax on Friday.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Carol I find the offal issue a bit of a nightmare as they are supposed to have 10% organ meat and tripe is organ meat but it comes under the 70/80% of meat they need and not the 10% of organ meat which I find very confusing. That only leaves liver, kidney and something else that I forget right now. I did buy some frozen chicken livers from Tesco for Daisy and I chopped them up and just take one out and stick it with her food. I think heart is good for them too but once again it's not considered to be part of the 10% organ meat. One day I am sure I will understand it all.

I really wouldn't worry about the veggies though as they don't need them for any actual vitamins or minerals. I just think in the wild they would probably eat some so people add it to the BARF diets. If you look at the model prey diet there is just meat, bone and organ meat, nothing else.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol I find the offal issue a bit of a nightmare as they are supposed to have 10% organ meat and tripe is organ meat but it comes under the 70/80% of meat they need and not the 10% of organ meat which I find very confusing.  That only leaves liver, kidney and something else that I forget right now.  I did buy some frozen chicken livers from Tesco for Daisy and I chopped them up and just take one out and stick it with her food.  I think heart is good for them too but once again it's not considered to be part of the 10% organ meat.  One day I am sure I will understand it all.

I really wouldn't worry about the veggies though as they don't need them for any actual vitamins or minerals.  I just think in the wild they would probably eat some so people add it to the BARF diets.  If you look at the model prey diet there is just meat, bone and organ meat, nothing else.

Lyn

Thanks so much for that LynI will try that first as I didn't really want to spend more money with having three boxes of the Berriewoods . when I get down a bit more of it I will try the Wolf Tucker. I may be going to Tesco today or tomorrow so will try some liver . Is it Lambs liver you buy?

sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Carol I just bought a pack of the frozen chicken livers from Tesco, they are in the same bit where the frozen chicken portions are. I bought those as I just wanted to start off with small bits and I have cut them up with scissors, which was a messy job and I give her a piece about the size of a fingernail, they really don't need much at all and liver can make their poos a bit runny if they eat too much. I know a few people who give a bigger piece of liver with a chicken carcass as the high bone content of the chicken carcass is evened out by the effect of the liver. I haven't got round to buying a chicken carcass yet, but I will in time. I am sure lambs liver is very good, probably better than chicken livers I guess.

The one thing I did notice with Daisy is that the very slippery texture of the liver made it hard for her to eat it. She kept dropping it on the floor and at first I thought she didn't like it, then I saw she kept picking it up and trying to eat it again. Some people dehydrate the liver in the oven or buy one of those dehydrators on Amazon. I may get one of those in the future as they are good for drying liver and fish so would make handy treats too.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:On the face of it the Natures Menu may seem cheaper as they work out at £3.37kg going by the figures you give.  The wolftucker works out at £4.14kg, however with the wolftucker you are getting 60% chicken with bone, 30% tripe and 10% veg if you buy the sustain variety, but with naturesmenu you only get 15% chicken, 25% tripe, 10% salmon, 5% liver and 43.5% fruit and vegetables.  To me the wolftucker still seems to be the better food, it may be a bit more expensive but if your dogs are pooping out the veggies then I'm not sure how much of the nutrients in it they are getting.  

Lyn
 I was thinking of trying a variety pack of Wolf Tucker until I worked out how much it would cost per week. By the amount Mali & Tasha are eating the Berriewood I guess it would cost around £6 a week which unfortunately is out of my reach. I am perfectly happy with Berriewoods but thought that if they had Wolf Tucker it has so many more ingredients in it that it would give them a change plus it has more Offal than BW. I then thought if I gave the Wolf Tucker as a once a week change say, maybe they would get to like the WT more and give me  a bigger problem. Then the other head ache is the delivery charges that some companies have to charge ie £9/ £10 increases the overall price per block of food. Jeepers what a conundrum it is HEEEELP!!!!!
teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:35 am

Carol I agree it's a dilemma as it's hard to find one company that sells all the foods that we want.  My biggest problem is finding any supplier that makes a food that has enough offal in it to give the overall 10% they need, next is finding portions small enough for Daisy as a 500gram block will last her 3 days and if I add on the fact that I would need to defrost the food the night before it's going on for more like 4 days which seems a long time to have the food out of the freezer.  One of the reasons I bought the freeflow chicken mince and the tripe mince was that at least I could just take out what I need and the texture is better than the Natures Menu blocks or nuggets.  I am hoping to get a delivery from http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk as they deliver to our area and they try to get a few people together that they can deliver to on one run which cuts down the cost of the delivery.  

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol I agree it's a dilemma as it's hard to find one company that sells all the foods that we want.  My biggest problem is finding any supplier that makes a food that has enough offal in it to give the overall 10% they need, next is finding portions small enough for Daisy as a 500gram block will last her 3 days and if I add on the fact that I would need to defrost the food the night before it's going on for more like 4 days which seems a long time to have the food out of the freezer.  One of the reasons I bought the freeflow chicken mince and the tripe mince was that at least I could just take out what I need and the texture is better than the Natures Menu blocks or nuggets.  I am hoping to get a delivery from http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk as they deliver to our area and they try to get a few people together that they can deliver to on one run which cuts down the cost of the delivery.  

Lyn

Thanks Lyn, I was just off to the shops for a bit of retail therapy when your message came through. I went back and looked at the Berriewood website again and found they do a lot more than I thought. There are some customised bags - you can choose any 4 x2kg bags of chunks, heart , liver, chicken ,beef etc which would certainly give them a bit more variety. I would have loved to try the Wolf Tucker but working out how much they have got through since starting on raw, which is 14 500gm blocks since 28th June and the odd meal they have had Nuggets and chicken wings it would be too expensive  to feed them permanently on WT. Of course the sensible approach would be to weigh it out again as I may be feeding them too much. But they are eating it.
teddy hug teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Carol is the wolftucker more expensive than what you were giving Tasha & Mali before?  I can see on their site that the prices vary depending on which pack you order but it's about £21 plus p&p for 14 packs I think?  

I know when we had Daisy on kibble it wasn't cheap as we were buying her the grain free kibble and as it's from Canada it worked out more expensive than the Nature Diet that she used to be on.  Right now I have no idea at all what Daisy is costing as I buy chicken, lamb and liver from Tesco, then I have the Prize Choice freeflow and the Natures Menu nuggets so it's hard for me to work out exactly what she is costing a week.  

Have you had a look on here http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/barf-diet-products/

A lot of people on the fb raw feeding site use that company.  I wanted to use them as they do the minces, chunks and bones but they don't deliver here.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol is the wolftucker more expensive than what you were giving Tasha & Mali before?  I can see on their site that the prices vary depending on which pack you order but it's about £21 plus p&p for 14 packs I think?  

I know when we had Daisy on kibble it wasn't cheap as we were buying her the grain free kibble and as it's from Canada it worked out more expensive than the Nature Diet that she used to be on.  Right now I have no idea at all what Daisy is costing as I buy chicken, lamb and liver from Tesco, then I have the Prize Choice freeflow and the Natures Menu nuggets so it's hard for me to work out exactly what she is costing a week.  

Have you had a look on here http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/barf-diet-products/

A lot of people on the fb raw feeding site use that company.  I wanted to use them as they do the minces, chunks and bones but they don't deliver here.

Lyn
 Have just Looked at Manifold Meats and looks good but their P&P is £10 so that is twice what Berriewood is. I do appreciate  that fuel costs are high these days . I know from my own suppliers in my business. Mind you one of my suppliers use Fedex as Manifold do and their charges for similar weight are no where as much, but maybe it is also to do with volumes, who knows?
 Not sure which food you are meaning. Do you mean the Trophy Kibble. The 7.5kg bag was £26 and would last me around four months. So yes feeding raw can be quite a bit more expensive than Kibble. If you meant the Natures Menu blocks I used to get 12 packs for about £5.50 from the kennels. Since getting the Berriewoods I wouldn't go back to Natures Menu, I have some Nuggets still they will get used. N M is so watery and mushy as you know . I will go and look at FB on raw feeding.
teddy hug  

sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Carol, yes I think it was the Trophy food that I was thinking of.  When Daisy was on the food from the vet it was costing us about £25 for a 3kg bag but we weren't happy having her on that particular diet.  The Taste of the Wild food she was on, which she didn't like and which made her poos really smelly, was costing us £13.95 for 2.27kg but I can't remember how much we fed her and she wasn't on it long enough for us to work out how long a bag lasted.  

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Sorry to jump in but looked on the back of the bag o nuggets it says upto 5 kg 18 nuggets she weighs 6.8 I have been feeding her 12 nuggets am I under feeding :-@
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Liz b wrote:Sorry to jump in but looked on the back of the bag o nuggets it says upto 5 kg 18 nuggets she weighs 6.8 I have been feeding her 12 nuggets am I under feeding :-@

You maybe just a little Liz. I was feeding Mali who weighs 5kg 6 Nuggets a meal twice a day. All I can say is try her with a couple more and see if she will eat them. Also don't forget that these companies will always recommend feeding more as it is more profit for them. Just give her  a bit more if she leaves it try a little less next time. Mali isn't as good an eater as Tasha. They have both eaten well tonight but Mali hardly ate anything this morning.

teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Liz I've never read the bags but I have looked on the Natures Menu website and it says 12 nuggets for a dog weighing 7kg.  I give Daisy 10 of them in a day as she is around 5.6kg, it never looks a lot though.  I think Lesley said the nuggets weigh 16grams each, which means if you feed 18 of them that would add up to 288grams which seems an awful lot.  The other thing to remember is that if you read the website it says that on top of that amount of nuggets you should be feeding something like raw chicken wings every other day.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:21 am

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol I find the offal issue a bit of a nightmare as they are supposed to have 10% organ meat and tripe is organ meat but it comes under the 70/80% of meat they need and not the 10% of organ meat which I find very confusing.  That only leaves liver, kidney and something else that I forget right now.  I did buy some frozen chicken livers from Tesco for Daisy and I chopped them up and just take one out and stick it with her food.  I think heart is good for them too but once again it's not considered to be part of the 10% organ meat.  One day I am sure I will understand it all.

I really wouldn't worry about the veggies though as they don't need them for any actual vitamins or minerals.  I just think in the wild they would probably eat some so people add it to the BARF diets.  If you look at the model prey diet there is just meat, bone and organ meat, nothing else.

Lyn

Tripe is NOT organ meat as it is the stomach.  Organs are HEART, KIDNEYS AND LIVER.

Also prey diet consists of the whole prey which INCLUDES  the stomach and its contents which is where the veggie part of the diet is coming from.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol I agree it's a dilemma as it's hard to find one company that sells all the foods that we want.  My biggest problem is finding any supplier that makes a food that has enough offal in it to give the overall 10% they need, next is finding portions small enough for Daisy as a 500gram block will last her 3 days and if I add on the fact that I would need to defrost the food the night before it's going on for more like 4 days which seems a long time to have the food out of the freezer.  One of the reasons I bought the freeflow chicken mince and the tripe mince was that at least I could just take out what I need and the texture is better than the Natures Menu blocks or nuggets.  I am hoping to get a delivery from http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk as they deliver to our area and they try to get a few people together that they can deliver to on one run which cuts down the cost of the delivery.  

Lyn

Wolftucker has the balance of meat bone and organs in its packs along with some very useful veg for minerals and vits not peas as in Natures Menu but broccoli, parsley and kelp.

As for storing it for 4 days in the fridge - it takes up very little room and keeps perfectly well.  Just out of interest - where do you think the  meat you buy is stored before you buy it and for how long??  Even a local butcher gets it in and out of cold store every day.  At least with something like Wolftucker it has been deep frozen at source.

All I know is that after just a couple of weeks on this food my two have bags more energy are very contented and Josh has regained all the weight he had lost.  It might seem pricey but you can't put a price on health imo.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am

Wolf tucker is what I am getting next the nuggets r a total defrost mush mess not ordering that again :-@ 
Best coming in block form 
That prize choice in my eyes is more mushy mess. 
Maggie has been v better since on raw her dry skin is clearing up a treat
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

Just a side thought I have the old girl cathy coming to me as a long term foster.... Se suffers with bad skin etc would starting raw be to late and not the right thing to do ? Think she just gets nature diet ? Don't want to mess with her eating
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 am

I worked out that Wolf Tucker would cost about £6 a week for my two . Do you think that is about what it is costing you Lesley. That is also including the p&p.?

teddy hug
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am

sands-62 wrote:I worked out that Wolf Tucker would cost about £6 a week for my two . Do you think that is about what it is costing you Lesley. That is also including the p&p.?

teddy hug

Carol if I could feed Daisy for £3 a week I would be very happy Laughing 

I knew I would get the offal and organ meat confused Lesley Embarassed   The tripe is considered as offal I think isn't it?  See I always thought heart would be part of the 10% organ meat and then I was told no it comes under the 70/80% of meat as it's an organ but it's meat too, which is confusing to me or maybe I'm just having a blond moment 

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Liz b wrote:Wolf tucker is what I am getting next the nuggets r a total defrost mush mess not ordering that again :-@ 
Best coming in block form 
That prize choice in my eyes is more mushy mess. 
Maggie has been v better since on raw her dry skin is clearing up a treat
I totally agree about the mushy mess which tells me there is a lot of water in their meat!  You will see a massive difference with WT
Liz b wrote:Just a side thought I have the old girl cathy coming to me as a long term foster.... Se suffers with bad skin etc would starting raw be to late and not the right thing to do ? Think she just gets nature diet ? Don't want to mess with her eating
It is NEVER too late to start...can only be a good thing both skin wise and health wise Smile
sands-62 wrote:I worked out that Wolf Tucker would cost about £6 a week for my two . Do you think that is about what it is costing you Lesley. That is also including the p&p.?

teddy hug

Two mixed boxes have lasted me 4 weeks and I maybe will have a block or two over BUT at the moment I am feeding Josh as much as he can eat.  This may have to be reduced in the near future.  This is working out at £11.60 a week.  Now both my guys are bigger than yours Carol anyway so you will probably use less.  I don't mind if my two stay eating at this rate as they are not having much of anything else and it really is good quality but I do expect them to require a little less now Josh has reached his ideal weight again.  I am not throwing anything away either - i was throwing platefuls if the prize choice in the bin and feeding loads of JWB crackerjacks too!!teddy hug
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:

teddy hug

Carol if I could feed Daisy for £3 a week I would be very happy Laughing 

I knew I would get the offal and organ meat confused Lesley Embarassed   The tripe is considered as offal I think isn't it?  See I always thought heart would be part of the 10% organ meat and then I was told no it comes under the 70/80% of meat as it's an organ but it's meat too, which is confusing to me or maybe I'm just having a blond moment 

Lyn

Tripe is offal as well as kidneys, heart, liver, lights (lungs) and sweetbreads.  Organs are kidneys, liver and heart - the organs of our body too Very Happy  All of it is classed as meat.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3