Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    March 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Microchipping with the second vaccination

+8
    Bensmam
    Michele
    Michaela
    sands-62
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Tracy
    denie1234
    simbalove
    12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 Empty Re: Microchipping with the second vaccination

Post by x Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I quite agree about the cowboy magic detangler serum . I've used it a few times and would not rate it at all it does nothing. I have been using Argan oil which is a natural product good for all types of hair.I put it on just before I blow dry her and again after she is completely dry. I sell it in my salon ( and have trouble keeping it in stock ) . Before she is bathed I apply some Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer pre shampoo conditioner for 20 minutes ( I know what your thinking....she's one pampered pooch ) but she's my pooch and I like to pamper . Her coat is coming on a treat I would like to try THE STUFF though so will get some soon

x
    Open Dog or Bitch
    Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-29
    Number of posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 Empty Re: Microchipping with the second vaccination

Post by Michaela Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks I will try the oil on their food and the vitapoint as suggested as I have that. His coat is very very flighty and dry. Today I have found another huge mat. I do stroke and brush him every day although he hates it and it is a battle of the wills. I feel like i am neglecting him and really don't want him to end up like the one on the matted Murry video. I need real help with him.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-01-27
    Number of posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 pm

What you need to be careful of though HUn is that you don't overgroom him because that too can cause problems with the coat (split ends, dry brittle coat - and I speak from experience because I over-groomed my first little one and she was over a year old and coatless before I got some advice from anywhere that showed me where I was going wrong!)

Can you send me some photos? One of his coat in general and also one of a mat?? So I can see for myself? Then I would suggest you try finger grooming him and just lightly brushing him every day - try to make it as quick, painless and fun as possible so he gets used to it and you stay calm and matter of fact (if you behave as if it is all normal then he won;t pick up on your anxiety - such as when you anticipate him not enjoying the groom). Wish I was closer xxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:02 pm

I bathed him on Sunday and got out a few larger mats and some knots. After an hour of him been with Kimba and messing around he was all knoty again. I have just found a biggish one now behind his ear. I am really thinking of having him cut but don't really want to. No

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Maybe you need to restrict the sort of play he is having with Kimba? I do stop tugging, digging/scratching and biting of coats not just because it ruins the coat but also it is painful!

Cutting the coat won't stop the matts - you will still have to groom him every day and make sure the coat does not knot up and being shorter it is more likely to knot together with the undercoat (it is the undercoat that matts and as the top coat grows it happens less but if the top coat and the undercoat are the same length then it encourages knotting!) So do think long and hard before you go down that route as once you have done it it is done,,, and as I say you will still have to groom and keep teh knots down or you will end up with a dog like the dog in the video xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 pm

Oh I do feel total inadequate to look after my dogs coat and it is getting me down now.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 pm

No you are NOT inadequate hun and please don't let it get you down. You are doing really well - the fact that you are getting the knots out shows that you are looking after his coat!! You need to hang on in there a wee while and get some oil into him and onto his coat - the problems you are having are caused because it is too dry and flyaway and this is controllable. You just need to find what suits his coat and you will be away. I just don't want you to go down the route of having it clipped off thinking that will solve the problem when it actually wont and then be upset because you have lost his coat.

Make up a solution of the 15 to 1 conditioner in a spray bottle and keep spraying that on him - if you can get THE STUFF (get the ready to use rather than the one you have to dilute for the time being as it is easy to use and you know the formula is right) and get that sprayed onhim as well.

I have been there before you - it happened once with me when I moved house and I thknk the central heating affected their coats I fremember Suki was forever a ball of matts and I would be almost in tears trying to sort it out - it took a while but eventually it came right and it was never that bad ever again.

I know it sounds harsh but if you see him scratching distract him and if you see them tugging each others' coats distract them to protect the coat while you are sorting it.

Honestly hun don't get depressed - try stay calm and positive - you are doing great and it will come right I promise (I just wish I was closer for you ) teddy hug xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks for you support. He has a couple of really bad mats that I cannot seem to get out. The fact that he doesn't stay still does not help. I will get The Stuff and try that. I have been putting veg oil on the food but the are not eating it very well with the oil on it. I love his coat I know I would regret having it cut. My problem is they are on their own for 7hrs aday so I can not mo itor their play easily. Sorry to be whining all the time.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:55 pm

You afre not whining so stop apologising Very Happy If they won't eat the veg oil you could always give them evening primrose capsules either whole or pierce and squeeze content onto food - it is a much smaller amount of oil.

When you leave them are they left together or are they caged/crated? If they are left together loose then Kimba could be washing Biscuit and that would be why he is matting when you don't seem to mention Kimba's coat making me think she has none??

With the really bad mats I would suggest you maybe slice down the mat away from skin to the end of the coat (in the direction of the coat) either with the matt splitter tuppence recommended or with the blade of your scissors. This breaks the mat up and makes it easier to remove - it also thins the coat out slightly without cutting the length so you can make the coat easier without losing it.

Hang in there you are doing a grand job xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Keep at it Michaela! It sounds like a hard job but you will get there!!!

I feel the same with Roxy's top knot....I have only just started to grow it and its frustrating. teddy hug
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
    Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks Lesley and Rooneys owner. I have just got home from work to find he has another three large matts on his side. No Kimba's coat is ok at the moment. Biscuit does lick him self alot though. I will look for a matt slitter when I next go into town.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 pm

thats probably what is happening then - you can get a product called bitter apple which is supposed to stop them licking chewing thouhg i have heard of some dogs actually liking the taste bit like my brother and the stuff he had used to stop him biting his nails lol!
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:07 am

ewwww that biting nail stuff tasted horrible! Shocked
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Rooney, Roxy&Pip
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
    Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 pm

it is amazing how some people will get used to the taste just in order to chew their nails lol!
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:00 pm

I am really sorry to say that I am going to have to get Biscuit's coat cut as I really cannot keep up with it. I am so sad about it but it would possible be for the best for him and me sadly.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Aww I am sorry to hear that. You have todo what is best for you but please remember that even if it is cut it will need grooming and you will still get knots and matts to sort out. It is not just a case of cutting the coat and forgetting it for 6 weeks - you have to keep on top of it all the time teddy hug
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes I know but as I am not able to keep him still and he hates been groomed. I won't need to be as long each day. I have tried so hard and could cry.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:37 am

Bless Michaela, yes I totally agree with Lesley you have to do what is best for you and Biscuit. I am growing Tasha's coat and so far I am able to cope. My problem is making sure it is kept tidy because as soon as it isn't I get told off by hubby and told to get her clipped. Also because I want a boy if he can see how well I am doing with Tasha he will relent. Mali's coat is a doddle it is as straight as a dye and only needs clipping once a year. Hers is lovely but I much prefer Tasha's coat.
    teddy hug

Microchipping with the second vaccination - Page 2 Dsc02622
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 am

I clipped Oscar down to, but his coat is coming back easier so you never know Biscuits may well be the same.
    Carol, can I come and live with you pleeeease!
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
    Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 am

Yes of course you can Tracy, on one condition that you bring Oscar and Louis with you. They would love to run around the garden with these pair.
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 am

I'm packing before you change your mind! lol! teddy hug
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
    Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

That's the bungalow I want !!!!!!!!!!
    lol!

You are right Michalea but you will need to persist with grooming him every day or he will never learn to stay still (and not staying still to be groomed is what nearly every shih tzu pup is like - I am having it at the moment with Isabella - it is a work of art just to get a brush near her but it is also the fun of owning a puppy Very Happy)
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

I think we are all going to invade Carol, and live with her because I am coming too please!

I think we must be very lucky because from day one Simba just sits and lets you groom him, he even goes to sleep and flops like a jelly. There is one problem though, and that is when you try and turn him over to do the other side he gets all grumpy!!! Mind you, my Westie is the total opposite, get the brush out and he runs a mile to hide!!!
    sujay
    sujay
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
    Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:02 pm

You would be very welcome Sue
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Frugalkate Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm

My vet told me he would do it when she gets spayed but he wanted $175 dollars on top of the $300 to spay her.

This past Sunday I took Danny for his 2nd year Booster shots to the Pet Store where the first Sunday of every month they have "Vets Without Borders" a low cost Clinic ($27 as opposed to $80 that my vet would have charged me and in these hard economical times it certainly helps). They were also offering the microchip for $40 so I had Bonnie get her micro then. She squirmed and yelped a little but she was fine immediatley after that. It wasn't so badafter all.

My last Shih Tuz was chipped right in front of me also before I was allowed to take her out of the Shelter and she squirmed and let out a yelp as well but she was also fine immediately afterwards.

I think it's worse for us Mums than it really is for our babies.

Frugalkate
    Frugalkate
    Puppy
    Puppy

Registration date : 2011-02-08
    Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next