Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    March 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos

4 posters

Go down

Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos Empty Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos

Post by Michaela Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

Hi there,

I seem to have aquired a Lhasa Apso Puppy she is 7and a half wks old and the runt of the litter the breeder did not want her once the rest of the litter went. I think she was glad to get rid of them. Any way she is tiny compared to Biscuit and I wounder if anyone can tell me much about the breed in comparison to Shih Tzus.

Michaela

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2010-01-27
    Number of posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos Empty Re: Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos

Post by Tracy Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Nope sorry, but I did meet a couple at Crufts and their owners all thought they had a beautiful nature . Photos please Very Happy
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
    Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos Empty Re: Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos

Post by simbalove Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

They arent the same character as shih tzu at all being somewhat aloof and not the comics that shids are. My friend has them so when I see her I will ask her for a description of them for you xxxxx

Good luck with your new baby
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 pm

This is Kimba she is 7 and a half wks.
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos P1010210
    Does anyone know much about Lhasa Apsos P1010212

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu May 06, 2010 6:20 pm

You can tell I am under the weather - I was looking at the top photo and thinking "that looks like a shih tzu!" Then I realised I was looking at Biscuit and that Kimba was behind him!!!! groan groan I can't believe I didn't realise by the size lol!

Anyhow Kimba looks a real cutie and you are very lucky Very Happy I am sure you will really enjoy having both breeds in your home - though I will still have a chat with my friend when I get chance to give you the low down on Lhasas xxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank you Lesley, I would be grateful if you could fine out some more.

Michaela

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by peroxideblader Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I am looking for a Lhasa or Shih Tzu pup as I know both breeds, one friend has 3 shiddies and the other 2 have both got Lhasas and I love both breeds. I have to say they are both the most lovng affectionate dogs and love cuddles and playtime and walking, the shiddies less in my friends case!
    I do know like has been already mentioned that Lhasas are naturally more aloof and they are quite off hand with strangers until they suss you out and they do bark at everything and anything particulary at the Tv so I'm told lol!.
    The Lhasa is usually quite a bit bigger than the shiddie although looking at your pic you wouldn't think so would you! They have the same coat and their coat changes colour from puppyhood right through their life, my friends was almost solid dark brown as a pup and now he's all cream, strange but gorgeous.....
    I am still pulled more towards the Shih Tzu only as I love their little flat faces and friendlines to everyone but as I said, I am desperately trying to still find a local pup of either breed.
    It is my birthday this Monday and as I have been looking for over 18 months for a pup, I hoped my OH would agree to drive further afield this weekend in the hope I can at last get my little baby but I won't hold my breath.
    Your Lhasa pup is gorgeous, I am sooooo jealous of you, lucky thing you and have many happy years together xx

peroxideblader
    Junior
    Junior

Registration date : 2009-07-23
    Number of posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Thu May 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi peroxideblader,

Have you tried looking on the preloved site and viva street. They often have both dogs for sale in there adverts. They are in all areas and some are KC registered. As I said we were lucky as Kimba almost was dumped on us.
    Good luck in your search.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu May 06, 2010 9:21 pm

According to the breed standard Lhasas are not supposed to be larger than shih tzu with their ideal height being given as 10 inches to the shoulder, shih tzu not more than 10 and a half!! The Lhasa's coat is also required to be HARD - not a term found in the shih tzu standard though they both have topcoats and undercoats and neither should be woolly. The major skeletal difference is the head which in a lhasa should NOT be domed like the shih tzu but rather narrow and flat with a straight foreface. The tail is really different too as the lhasa should NOT have the teapot handle tail that a shih tzu should have and they also like a kink at the end of their tail!! The bite is different - favouring the reverse scissor bite as opposed to the favoured slightly undershot of the ST! Movement is also very different because the way the body is put together is different - and the lhasa is not required to show the full rear pad as the shih tzu should. Lhasas have oval eyes while the shih tzu should have large round eyes!! I know from the friends I have with lhasas that, as the standard requires, the character is different to that of the shih tzu and they do not have the arrogance of the shih tzu and they SHOULD be aloof with strangers - where shih tzu tend to be very friendly little dogs!

Here are links to the breed standards on the KC web site for your information:

LHASA APSO BREED STANDARD

SHIH TZU BREED STANDARD teddy hug
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks will look at the sites. Apparently her mum is half Shih Tzu snd Lhasa and dad was Lhasa KC regestered. Her head is domed like a shih Tzu and her tail is more like a Shih Tzu. Time will tell as she developes further. We love her as she is so it really doesn't matter too much.
    Michaela

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Its amazing how quickly these little babies can worm their way into our hearts isn't it?? Hope you have loads of fun and love with her xxxxx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peroxideblader Sun May 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes Michaela, I look on those sites plus many more, they all seem to be too far away or litters are too young at the mo and I don't want to reserve a puppy under 3 weeks old as you can;t tell their nature or personality that young but if I go back when they're older they have all been reserved. I've got fingers crossed for one litter that might have a little boy left, off the KC website, thanks though, it will happen one day I hope x

peroxideblader
    Junior
    Junior

Registration date : 2009-07-23
    Number of posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaela Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi,
    I have found out the difference apart from the obvious ones they are much more vocal. Biscuit hardly ever barks even now at 7 months if he does it is on loud gruff and that is it. But Kimba at 9 wks barks and growls at anything. We never heard a bark from Biscuit till he was 5 and a half months.

Michaela
    Limit Dog or Bitch
    Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon May 17, 2010 1:15 pm

lol! - unfortunately some shih tzu do that too (Jasmine was a rght old yapper!!) bouncy lol
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Oscar and Louis too groan
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon May 17, 2010 3:16 pm

yes I forgot about the "Yappy Brothers" bouncy lol
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Mon May 17, 2010 6:12 pm

awww, my boys are sulking now! lol!
    Tracy
    Tracy
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon May 17, 2010 10:34 pm

They aren't - don't tell your porkies - cos your boys KNOW how much I LOVE them!!!!! xx bouncy lol
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down